Sick and tired of this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick and tired of this.

I've known a guitar riff for a while now i can never play it right.

its really frustraiting, i don't understand.

If i try to slow it down and play i fuck up, if i try to play as fast as it, i fuck up.

i always fuck up. this is getting to the point where i just want to give up. whats the point of playing when you can't play stuff you learned a year ago even more right.

either my fingers slip and i don't get the right note, or my other hand just slips the note.

what can i do...? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

the song is called

identity crisis by thrice. it's not just this song, its with everything. i've been playing for 3 years and i still suck horrible at accuracy in all areas.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...crisis_tab.htm

Re: Sick and tired of this.

Face it, dude: you're just a fuck-up! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

J/K dude! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
      Face it, dude: you're just a fuck-up! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

J/K dude! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">sadly, that's probably true [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

If you learned the song fast,that is you practiced it so many times fast(including your mistakes)you imbedded that memory in your fingers for that song.It is always better to start slow and accurate and speed will come(with accuracy).This does not mean you can't fix the problem.Start slow again,even painfully slow,over and over again,accurately.You will probably have to do this 100's of times,eventually it will come.Don't give up.This is only my opinion and my experience,hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
          sadly, that's probably true [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Awwwwwwwwww!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Mc:
            If you learned the song fast,that is you practiced it so many times fast(including your mistakes)you imbedded that memory in your fingers for that song.It is always better to start slow and accurate and speed will come(with accuracy).This does not mean you can't fix the problem.Start slow again,even painfully slow,over and over again,accurately.You will probably have to do this 100's of times,eventually it will come.Don't give up.This is only my opinion and my experience,hope it helps.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i guess i should try that, thanks.

wheres the suicide face animation when you need it?

Comment

I think I know what you're talking about. In everything there are days when things don't come out right. On such days I just put my guitar away, so I don't get discouraged. I think we may call it 'overworking' of the material. Try playing for like 15min a day for a few day, and don't play that tune at all. Just something to relax. You'll be back to your standards before you know it. I've read in many interviews with great players that they sometimes feel like no playing, and they don't force themselves to do it. Unless they're on a tour, but then you get a so-so performance and it's quite visible. Hope it cheers you up a bit.

Comment

I don't know the riff or the song...but you have to climb the ladder one rung at a time... is the riff just way over your head?? I could sit down today and try to play like some Malmsteen solo or something, and I could play it every day and 1 year from now forget it, I will still be flubbing it up. If I spent the year working my way up to it playing other things of increasing difficulty, one at a time, I would finish the year a lot closer to the goal. Just a thought, I am not sure what the situation is here. Wanting to smash your guitar every once in a while and contemplating a new hobby comes with the territory, and Vai, Lynch or anyone else went through the same thing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

the riff isn't hard, it's just like i have a "chance" of playing it right. or my finger slips, or my picking hand slips.

the riff is not over my head. i posted the tab to show you. its the intro. i've known that riff for a while, but with everything in guitar, i always fuck up.

Comment

try the speed mech. book. i was in the same boat with every part of playing but after working with this book for about a month now i can see a difference in my playing.
                    just dont give up

Comment

I've known a guitar riff for a while now i can never play it right.

its really frustraiting, i don't understand.

If i try to slow it down and play i fuck up, if i try to play as fast as it, i fuck up.

i always fuck up. this is getting to the point where i just want to give up. whats the point of playing when you can't play stuff you learned a year ago even more right.

either my fingers slip and i don't get the right note, or my other hand just slips the note.

what can i do...? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

the song is called

identity crisis by thrice. it's not just this song, its with everything. i've been playing for 3 years and i still suck horrible at accuracy in all areas.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...crisis_tab.htm
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude, I've been playing since 1967... you never get to a point where you don't feel like you're fucking up, even if you have the utmost confidence & gig for a living... if you do, you're complacent, & you need to raise the bar. The point is to get to the other side, & the way to get to the other side, is to suck with conviction, from the heart. As for pure mechanics, yeah, you gotta work with a metronome, analyze your mechanics, all that good shit, blah blah blah... but in & of itself, that will make - exactly nobody jump up & down & thrill to your playing. Do yourself a favor & forget technique for a week or so, or listen to technically gifted players who didn't give a rat's ass about technique, as they realized it's just yet another tool in the palette, not a means unto its own end. Put on a Hendrix record. A Beck record. Charlie Parker, Allan Holdsworth, Coltrane, Miles Davis, James Brown, Buck Owens for God's sake. Technique, mechanics, & perfection are, in the grand scheme of themes, very small pieces of the puzzle. Soul, heart, conviction, and groove are EVERYTHING. I don't give a shit who tells you otherwise, you can take that to the bank. That is, if you want to make a career for yourself as a musician. Forget obsessing. Relax, play, & most of all, ENJOY.

Comment

Maybe this will help:

I've never heard this song, but in looking at the tab, the issue seems to be that it combines alternate picking and string skipping. This combo can be a pain sometimes. Assuming that you're starting with a downstroke, which 99% of us do 99% of the time, play it slowly (I mean SLOWLY) and pay careful attention to how you're picking it.

Sometimes you might discover that you're doing two consecutive downstrokes when you should be doing strictly down,up/down,up.

Hope this helps.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Cool riff actually. Definately tests the alternate picking/string skipping skills like PowerTube said.

It's already been said, but can't be said enough:

Start slow and accurate, and the speed will come later on!

You want to build muscle memory that is accurate and correct!

Comment

wow, i didn't look at this, but thanks. i'll try it out.

ralph: everytime i try to play soemthing slow i end up doing worse then playing it fast sometimes [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

i fixed on being a shitty guitar play at accuracy/timing

thanks TB

Comment

...everytime i try to play soemthing slow i end up doing worse then playing it fast sometimes
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've discovered that 9 times out of 10 when there's something I can "sometimes play/sometimes can't," it's because I'm breaking the rules of alternate picking. Usually I find that I'm doing two downstrokes in a row at some point instead of keeping it strictly alternate.

Michael Angelo discusses this exact thing in the old Star Licks video from the Eighties.
                              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                              X