Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does anyone play with three fingers????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does anyone play with three fingers????

I finally have some semblance of a practice routine again after years of telling myself I would, and I noticed an area I thought needed attention. I use my pinky all the time, like just about any other modern guitarist, for everything: scales, powrchords and 5th string barres, etc. always my pinky. But then I was thinking, my fretboard reach seemed a little skimpy at certain times and the problem seemed to be stretching between the 1st 2nd and 3rd finger. Maybe using my pinky so much has reduced my reach in certain ways? This is my stupid theory. So I figured I'll just play some scales with the first 3 fingers to get them used to stretching and whatnot, and maybe better finger independence in some way. Now I am thinking: How the @#**&#!! did anyone ever play guitar with only the first 3 fingers? That is whacked. It feels like the most uncomfortable counterintuitive way to do anything. I don't know how EVH and others did it??? What is the benefit? I know what you are thinking: who fuckin cares?? But anyway thats my finding from that bright idea [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: How does anyone play with three fingers????

Many of people that I know can't use their pinky for unknown reasons. They just can't. Even me couldn't use it but I started to practice in that way so I reached the half of the technique already. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

hi mark, i pratice skipping 1 fret for every finger: 1st fret 1st finger,3rd fret 2nd finger,5th fret 3rd finger and 7th fret pinky.
      as for 3 fingers i am down to only 2 fingers on my picking hand and am having hell working out finger picking with just my pinky and index fingers left to work with, so i understand ya frustation [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] even if its on different hands.

Comment

I usually play with 3 fingers only, unless there's a big stretch or arpeggio. If it's not broken, don't fix it. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I did so myself for the first year I started out.
          I didn't know there was something like a pinky at all... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

first; try to use a thumb over fretboard position with your left hand. this will cause your fingers to run the frets diagonally (?). and since your pinky is way shorter than your ring-finger, there ya go.
          it's no advantage in reach anymore, and the only difference is, that your pinky isn't that good for bends and stuff, and you stop using it in the end.

at least that's what I did.
          nasty habit that took me lots of time to get rid of.
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Didn't Django Reinhardt play with only 2 fingers on his left hand.Give me a spell check here Ron I'm sure I didn't spell his name right.Anyhow listen to some of his stuff you'd swear he had 10 fingers on one hand.
            As to hooking your thumb over the neck that's a major no-no in technique suposedly.I've been doing it for years it's hard to break the habit so I don't worry about it anymore.I have noticed it's much easier to play rhythum and lead at the same time using this technique also after watching great players and inovaters like Hendrix and Stevie Ray doing the same thing I don't worry about it any more
            Keep On Rockin' [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree about the pinky issue. When I was younger I got bit by a Cat right in the second joint of my third finger. As I have gotten older, it's the less flexible of the four. I use my pinky for A type barre chords due to the 3rds inability to bend correctly for the barre. Over time my pinky has gotten very strong and accurate. Now if I could find some way to get the third finger to do what I want. I have tried just about every exercise known. Perhaps I should go see a doctor about it.

Comment

my friend has long as fuck fuingers.

he can put his 1 finger on the E 3rd fret, his 2nd on the A 5th fret, and his 3rd on the D 5th fret.

it's insane, he's 4 years younger then me, and has longer fingers then.

he didn't use his pinky, before, but i told him to start using it.

my post is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                  I believe Reb Beach also only uses three fingers.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just checked out a track off Dokken's Live at the Sun DVD to make sure, Reb uses his pinky.

Gary Moore only uses three.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Gary Moore I knew about, and SRV, Van Halen a lot of the time, Yngwie a fair amount of the time, although he can use his pinky too, he just chooses not to sometimes...

Of course many guitarists before shred were 3 finger, esp. with pentatonic playing in classic rock, kinda lends itself I guess. Shred kinda forces pinky use I would think. I can't shred,so it's not that for me, I just use my pinky anyway for regular basic metal playing and whatever else.

I just think it makes it harder than need be (3 fingers). It's easier to play with your pinky. I don't know why some guitarists avoid it??? But My fretboard reach is only so so: like 1st fret/1 finger, 3rd fret/2nd finger, 5th fret/3rd finger is an impossible reach for me, cant do it. I can spread them over the 3,5,7th at the most (just barely) Otherwise I need that pinky dammitt!!

Comment

I avoid pinky because there's not enough strength in my pinky. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Besides, since the pinky is smaller than ring finger in size, it doesn't sound very good when you're doing vibrato with it.

Comment

I don't know how people can play without their pinky either. I've used it ever since I started playing in the '80s. I believe Reb Beach also only uses three fingers.
                        Tony Iommi actually can't even feel the strings on his middle and ring fingers since he lost the tips in an industrial accident and wears thimbles on them. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm a 3 finger guy as well.When doing a run I just alternate pick at a quicker rate, technically picking the string twice per note going up the scale.Doing it this way it seems a more fluid transition into harmonics, hammer ons and taps in the upper registers.Going back down the scale is a different animal for me,my runs back down the neck are more like Yngwie's don't ask me how or why I don't know.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm a long-time three finger guy that has been integrating his pinky for about ten years now. There's still some things that just feel more natural with my ring finger, although I'll usually practice the part until I can use my pinky for it.

When I'm improvising, though, I still tend to use my ring finger in places where the pinky would be better technique. As usual, it's a process... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mike
                            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                              I believe Reb Beach also only uses three fingers.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just checked out a track off Dokken's Live at the Sun DVD to make sure, Reb uses his pinky.
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm, I thought I had read somewhere he said he only used three. Maybe he's started using his pinky since. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X