Shattered Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shattered Glass

Does anyone here know how to do a shattered glass top? I think they are some of the coolest looking guitars out there and have an old junker that I'd be willing to try it on if its feasible...

I just bought a bathroom mirror at a dyi shop and cut it with a glasscutter, the mirror was made of some sort of safety glass and because of this there are no apparent sharp edges (otherwise I would have grind them down with a dremel)
    http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddons...5ded1cee18fadb

Comment

pretty sure they use 1/16" inch mirror, they break it under a cloth and then apply/glue the broken pieces to the top.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

our own Huntindoug does some awesome mirror work using plexiglass mirror,,,scope it out..

"It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

The key is to cut the glass, not just break it. If you break it, you never manage to get all of those tiny shards back in the right place. I've seen Doug post about his work, and that he cuts it and then glues it in place.

Comment

WOW! I've never seen a red shattered glass guitar.... that looks awesome! Any idea how he got the red color? Is it just a red paint job underneath or red stained glass?

Comment

Sup?

It's just red plexiglass mirror,,you can get plexi-mirror in just about any color you could want.

MOSHON
              DAVE

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
              WOW! I've never seen a red shattered glass guitar.... that looks awesome! Any idea how he got the red color? Is it just a red paint job underneath or red stained glass?
              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Is there a clear coat over the top?

Comment

I hope so, or some poor fucker's gonna get locked away for constantly attempting suicide! :ROTF: Nice guitar. Was it originally a WRMG or WRXT?
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

i believe that the plexi is cut on the bottom, so the top is smooth. i could be totally wrong, though.

as far as real mirror goes, you have to cut them; hitting them with a hammer turns parts to powder, and you don't get a nice pattern. tracy's had a few done with real mirror by someone, but our very own huntindoug does a kickass job with plexi (as moshwitz has displayed).

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, after I read earlier about huntindoug I looked up all his posts and found quite a few sweet ones that he's done!

I talked to a glass shop today and they said they can do a pre-cut mirror for me for a pretty reasonable price, so I may give it a shot. It is 1/8" though, would that be a problem since it seems that they are 1/16" or would I just have to rout the top down 1/8 rather than 1/16?

Other question I have is how do you do it with a contoured body? Looks like the WR was contoured, but they used a shim of some sort to make it the way it is now.... any ideas?

Comment

Well, I just took the body down to my friend at his machine shop and he's going to lop 1/8" off the top since 1/8" mirror is the thinnest I can find. Next week I'll put in my order for the custom mirror and go from there....

Comment

Originally posted by fred dons View Post
                          I just bought a bathroom mirror at a dyi shop and cut it with a glasscutter, the mirror was made of some sort of safety glass and because of this there are no apparent sharp edges (otherwise I would have grind them down with a dremel)
                          http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddons...5ded1cee18fadb
                          That is a totally awesome looking guitar. Nice enough with ANY finish on it, but you've made a fantastic job of the mirror!
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X