Putting an EMG SA/SA/81 set in my model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting an EMG SA/SA/81 set in my model 4

I'm looking at getting myself a set of EMG SA/SA/81 pickups for my Charvel 4. It looks like everything will work without modification, with the exception of the 5-way switch. One of my favorite features of the model 4 is the individually switched pickups. Is it possible to just forget the 5-way and use the switches instead? Here is a link to the product manual, with installation instructions: http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiri...rams/strat.pdf Can someone with technical experience tell me how I should go about wiring the switches so that I don't hurt the pickups or sacrifice any of the tone controls? Thanks.

I'm not sure why you think that a 5-way switch won't work. There is, in fact, one in the wiring diagram that you posted the link to. Am I missing something?
    "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

It will be fine but you have to use the 25k pot for the volume & tone .

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
        I'm not sure why you think that a 5-way switch won't work. There is, in fact, one in the wiring diagram that you posted the link to. Am I missing something?
        A Model 4 has the three on/off switches. He wants to use the switches and not a five-way switch.

Just email EMG and ask Rick how to wire up the switches. http://www.emginc.com/
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had that same setup in my Ibanez RG 760, but used the 85 for the bridge. The 85 has a better lower end sound. It was ok, but if I had to do it over, I'd use the Dimarzio Super S for the neck and middle and get a Gibson 500T for the bridge. I've got that in my Ibanez now it really sounds great. If you go with the SA/SA/81 set up, try and install the eq boost so the single coil can put out the same volume as the Humbucker. There's a tiny little volume pot that you can adjust output when it's wired in.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I'll email rick and see if I get a reply. I'll think about the volume pot too that sounds like a cool idea.

Comment

Working...
            X