Dying battery in active pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying battery in active pickups

OK call me lazy- for the last couple months I've been playing with my Jackson Fusion Pro that I posted about when I got it. It's loaded SA/SA/85. I never opened the cavity to change the battery.

The other day it started "kicking out", literally losing signal, so I popped off the cover (very happy to see a very clean, neat wiring job) and replaced the battery. I did the scientific 9-volt "tongue test" and was amazed that the pickups were working at all.... there was practically NO juice coming off that sucker.

So I put the new battery in, closed her up, and played her. Was surprised how much the tone changed.... Much...tighter? Glassier? Less broken up. Less distorted.

Has anyone noticed this? Do the characteristics of your active pickups change as the battery winds down?

Funny thing is I kinda liked the "old" tone. Now I'll be stripping batteries out of smoke detectors after a year to put in my guitars!

Vass

All sorts of little things change your tone, just like changing your strings. Or using better cables.

Comment

Yeah, dying batteries get a dirtier tone. It's kinda cool. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long

Maybe if there was a way to limit the amount of juice coming from the battery? Like a resistor on a knob between the battery and the pickups?

Or would that kill something?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I was just thinking about that myself, but then I realized that I would have to do math, so I moved on to the next thread.

Comment

Yeah I noticed and I kind of liked the sound I got from a dying battery

Comment

A dying battery would have a lower voltage (the preamp inside the guitar will clip sooner) and would give out under the load easier....So you will get to distortion sooner and in a softer clipping manner.....More even harmonics than odd harmonics, which most people prefer...................Sorry if I got too technical

Comment

Maybe if there was a way to limit the amount of juice coming from the battery? Like a resistor on a knob between the battery and the pickups?
              Was thinking exactly the same thing. Like say, if a 10K pot is too much then you can take a stereo one from a radio or something, and put both sets of pins in parallel to make it into a 5K....? just thinking
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Just remember to unplug the cable from the guitar.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

How often do you change your batteries? I've had my SL2 for about a year and still haven't changed the battery in it. It gets played but not everyday so I'm thinking I might switch out the one thats in it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                    Was thinking exactly the same thing. Like say, if a 10K pot is too much then you can take a stereo one from a radio or something, and put both sets of pins in parallel to make it into a 5K....? just thinking

Heh heh - a Variac for active guitar circuits

Eddie would be proud
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

if you got a solution tell us

Comment

Sounds like a interesting project I'd do.... if I still used active pups.

Comment

This reminded me of something I've seen, but for pedals. Some people prefer weak batteries in their analog pedals, and this guy shows how to make a very simple "dying battery simulator" with a 100k linear pot:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

Comment

Heh, a dropped voltage EMG circuit, nice! You guys should get with the guys that wire in two 9volts (the "18v mod") and argue tone. =)

Comment

My EMG's died on my SL2H the other day. No distortion.
                              I swapped Batteries (18 volts)and same thing.
                              I opened it up and started looking around and everything looked good.
                              So I started tugging (very lightly) the wires and the Red (+)wire had corroded off under the 9 volt paper cover.
                              Wouldn't have found it if I didn't tug the wires.
                              After a quick solder job, it's good as new.
                              Last edited by finnman; 12-10-2007, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X