Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson J50BC and Dimarzio ToneZone... For my cheapo JS30...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson J50BC and Dimarzio ToneZone... For my cheapo JS30...

Hello Jackson enthusiasts,

I was doing some cleaning this past weekend and just found out that I had a Jackson J-50BC and a Dimarzio ToneZone collecting dust in my box of gear parts...

Which one would sound the best into the bridge of my cheapo Jackson JS30 Kelly? If I'm correct, the body is made of cedro.

Thanks in advance.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

For metal, ToneZone. J50BC would lack some of the gain if you don't have a really high-gain amp or somekind of boost.

Comment

+1. While the J50BC is a really nice sounding pup, it lacks a bit of punch for the bridge position IMO. You could always try it in the neck position though!

Comment

Tone Zone in the bridge. Like Sunbane suggested, try the J50BC in the neck with it.
        I put a Tone Zone in an old poplar Dinky HX, with a J50N in the neck (I know, not totally the same as the J50BC), and it was one of my favorite combos ever.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Dont laugh but I do like the cheap stock PUs in my JS30 Kelly, they miss a bit of definition but do an OK job with my actual rig.

But, I think it's worth trying the combo proposed up there. Sounds cool to me!
          JB aka BenoA

Comment

If you like the stock pickups, that's cool. Whatever works for you.

Comment

Just to let ya know that I'm about to install the ToneZone... I'll keep ya posted.
              JB aka BenoA

Comment

It's done. It would have took me less time if my d*mn soldering gun would have worked properly. But I did realised that it was a very easy job to replace a PU and I'm glad to have done it by myself.

I wasn't able to really test it. Wife was watching a movie and the kids were sleeping... Not the time to cranck an amp! But with the Line6 Gearbox software using my TonePort GX, I could hear a difference and a really better note definition.

So, to more questions:

- First, how do I adjust the height of the PU? Any tips, tricks?

- Any PU suggestion for the neck?

Thanks in advance.

Can't wait until next rehearsal to try it out with my rig.
                JB aka BenoA

Comment

The JS30s have pup rings, don't they? In that case you have two height adjustment screws that also hold the pickup to the pickup ring.

Comment

Thanks, but I knew that!!! I had to remove those screws to put the Dimarzio in!!!

I should have been clearer in my question, what height should I adjust my PU? Should it be near the strings or far from them? Is there a proper way of selecting this?

Thanks in advance!
                    JB aka BenoA

Comment

from dimarzio's website - refering to humbuckers.

"How high should I adjust my pickups for the best sound?

There is no specific distance that works best for everyone. We measure string height from the top of the polepiece to the bottom of the string when the string (usually the high or low E) is held down at the highest fret. For standard, full-size humbuckers, a reasonable starting point for the bridge pickup is at least 1/16" (1.5mm) from the high E and 5/64" (2 mm) from the low E. There are no recommended distances for the other 4 strings. Their polepieces should be adjusted (if necessary) by ear in relation to the volume established for the first and sixth strings. Once the bridge pickup is adjusted to a useful distance, the neck pickup can be adjusted by ear for a good balance."
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

D'oh!!! I should have tought about checking Dimarzio's web site.

Thanks a lot!!!
                        JB aka BenoA

Comment

Did some tests with my Traynor YCV40 tonite! I had a great time until the volume police (read the wife) stopped me!

The ToneZone put some warmth into my JS30 Kelly... I compared it with my Godin LG Signature (real Duncans) and my Charvel Model 4 with a Duncan JB in the bridge. The cheapo JS30 has now its own character and a lot of warmth and better note definition. I already liked my cheap JS30, well now, it sounds better than ever.

So, 2 thumbs up to the Dimarzio ToneZone!

Now, what to put in the neck position? Any ideas?
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

Very cool. I'd say try the J50 in the neck still.

Comment

Working...
                            X