Locking nut w/ string tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking nut w/ string tree

What is the purpose of a string tree when you have a locking nut? I see that on some ESP's and Ibanez's.

That is a string retainer bar and not a string tree.The pitch of the head stock is why Jackson never used them.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I get the whole headstock pitch / string retainer thing as it pertains to a non-locking nut, but with a locking nut....what's the point?

Comment

Well the strings need to be down on the nut before you lock the pads down.If the bar is not used the strings don't lay flat on the nut just in the groove.you have to have down pressure.
        Look at a Charvel strat head that has a floyd and you will see a retainer bar.Vintage trem you will see a traditional string tree.
        Last edited by straycat; 12-03-2007, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          That is a string retainer bar and not a string tree.The pitch of the head stock is why Jackson never used them.
          Exactly. On some guitars, their headstock isn't tilted back as much. When you lock down the nut, the strings will go a little sharp. With the string retainer, it will keep the strings pushed down closer to the headstock and they won't go as sharp when locking the nut.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The head has to be tilted back to use a locking nut, or if it's straight like a Strat, you need the retainer, even with a locking nut, because the nut is angled for a tilted head.

If you don't use the bar, the nut locks will pull the strings very sharp when you tighten them.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I didn't think about the strings going sharp.

Comment

Another thing. If your lock nut is top mounted then a retainer bar will help relieve some tension off the nut

Comment

How?I would think it puts more pressure pulling the strings down

Comment

Tension, not pressure. It helps take some tension off the screws but does make more pressure downward on the nut.

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    How?I would think it puts more pressure pulling the strings down

Comment

Working...
                    X