Attaching Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Neck

Gday just about to start my mutt. I've got a custom build neck and a DK2M body and want to know the best way to go about attaching them (it's a bolt on). The neck doesn't have any holes pre-drilled so I'm thinking i should put the neck on, mark where the holes need to be drilled, drill half the depth of the neck screw using a drill bit smaller than the screw (not sure how much smaller though.) Then put the neck back on and using a screwdriver, put the backplate and screws in.

Has anyone done the drilling using a hand drill? i could possibly get access to a bench press if needed. Also, any tips how to make sure it's a tight fit or any tips on things NOT to do?

thanks a lot

Tim

don't drill through the fretboard =P

Comment

I use a hand drill. Make sure you pre-drill first, or you'll split the wood. Just pre-drill holes slightly smaller than the actual neck screws.

What you're gonna want to do is use a clamp to clamp the neck to the body. Then put the high E and low E strings on to make sure the neck is aligned perfectly in the pocket. Then predrill.

Comment

mike-o has it nailed, so to speak.

Also, mark the drilling depth by measuring
        the distance you want to drill, and wrap a piece
        of masking tape on the drill bit so you don't
        go too deep.

Too shallow can be bad, too, as the screws
        can split the wood without a sufficient "pilot hole".

Comment

should i drill the neck while its attached via the clamp to the body or mark it and take it off for the drilling?

Comment

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Neck...ir/i-4005.html
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Mike-o's got it right ...

I usually only use the hand drill to mark for my holes.
              Then I use my drill press to make sure they're drilled straight.

Here's a visual of how I align a neck.
              Be careful not to tighten the clamp too much.
              You want it to be loose enough so you can shift the neck into position.
              Also ... be sure to place something under the clamp to help protect the frets.
              I usually just use a scrap piece of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                Mike-o's got it right ...

I usually only use the hand drill to mark for my holes.
                Then I use my drill press to make sure they're drilled straight.

Here's a visual of how I align a neck.
                Be careful not to tighten the clamp too much.
                You want it to be loose enough so you can shift the neck into position.
                Also ... be sure to place something under the clamp to help protect the frets.
                I usually just use a scrap piece of wood.

Exactly! Nice pic! After the holes are marked, I take the neck off and clamp two pieces of wood (one on each side of the neck), fret side face down, to make sure it's level and square when it's on the drill press table.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

thanks for the help, i got the right idea now. Now i just have to wait for my neckplate to come and I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

gday just got my neck screws and neck plate. The screws i bought were 1 3/4" but they look as though they will just go through the top of fretboard. How deep into the neck are the screws supposed to go? heres some pics:

Comment

Looks like you have a contoured heel on that body. You need the shorter screws (1-1/2") at least for the front two. They are only supposed to go in 1/2-5/8".

See:http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...le_Screws.html

Or here:http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/part...include_screws

Or these at 1-3/8"
                      http://www.allparts.com/store/screws...03,Product.asp
                      Last edited by Bengal65; 01-02-2008, 01:32 AM.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                      X