Help Needed Refinishing KV2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed Refinishing KV2

I am located in Ontario Canada I am looking for someone that does professional refinishes on guitars. I have a black KV2 that I got for a really great price but someone in the past has made a poor attempt at refinishing it. They have made a fucking mess of it other words. They have over spray on the pups, volume and tone knobs, selector switch, strings, back plastic covers, and on the original Floyd Rose. The tips of the body need some work as well buy the looks of it. The neck seems to be untouched and the paint there is still real nice. Even with the shitty appearance the guitar plays unreal it is my first Made in USA Jackson. The guitar originally has a black finish. I am a a auto body man buy trade and I am sure I could do the guitar justice but being that this is a KV2 USA Jackson to me it should be perfect. I have considered doing some guitar refinishing in the future but this is not the one I want to make my first attempt with. So if anybody knows of someone in my area that would be awesome. If not I would be willing to ship it out to have the work done as long as I had references and could see some pics of the persons work. I thought there might be someone on the JCF that might do this type of work.
    Thanks
    DOGUE

well on the board, there is mm2002, he does awesome work but the paint is probably going to cost more than the guitar........ refinish work is really expensive. the cheapest quote i have ever gotten for a neck thru piece is $500 dollars
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Well I have to have it done . I will not be happy with it until it is.
      Dogue

Comment

One of our board sponsors, Mike Learn, can also refinish it. Probably won't be too cheap either, but he can do it.
        http://www.learnguitars.com/
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the infoe

Comment

Where in Ontario are you?

I just had my KV1 refinished by Freddy Gabrsek here in Welland. Check out the thread here:
            http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76381

I was in the same boat as you. I got a great deal on a poorly treated instrument, that had to be rescued. There are "before" pictures in the thread. It cost a lot, but a large portion of the cost was due to the complex paint job. If you just wanted a solid colour, it would be a lot less. You should email Freddy and get a quote.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I am located just outside of Brantford. Welland is only about a hour away. I have looked at the pics your KV1 it looks awsome. Yes I just want to put it back to a solid colour. Either back to the black or a Ferrari Red. I want it to be what it once was a incredible looking guitar. It is really kickass to play I can not get enough of it but the finish is brutal.

Comment

I had a Ferrari red refin done on a King V that you can read about here:

http://www.axewielder.com/King%20V%2...%20Machine.htm

There's a refin spec that I wrote in there when I was getting price quotes. Note that it contains some errors (we can chat about that if you like). Big Head Guitars did the work.

Comment

WOW you KV looks great. It gives me hope for this one I have. The price for the refinish does not seem to bad either. The article was well written and a good read thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dogueboy View Post
                    WOW you KV looks great. It gives me hope for this one I have. The price for the refinish does not seem to bad either. The article was well written and a good read thanks.
                    Definitley a reasonable price, and what looks like a great job too.

As I said, mine was much more expensive than a solid color due to the time it took him to do all the masking. Camo is a very time consuming finish. As for the result, close up the guitar looks as good or better than most factory finishes. Plus, Freddy did a fantastic job of keeping the bevels nice and crisp, and the binding/paint edge is perfect.

I'm currently building another V. It will be set-neck, using a neck salvaged from a Washburn HM-20V. I always wanted one, but when I finally picked one up, it needed a hell of a lot of work to make it playable. On top of that, the body is really tiny, which was a surprise to me because I'd never seen one up close. The neck however, is awesome. It's got a great shape to it (assymetrical like EVH guitars) and good frets. So, I cut the neck out of the body, and I'll be using it for my new V. It will be very close to a King V, but with a mahogany body.

Anyway, my point is, I'll be taking it to Freddy when it's done. I'll probably do the graphic myself, and just have Freddy do the clear.

Comment

I had emailed Freddy and he emailed me back. To strip , prep and refinish is $600 + tax.

Comment

Maybe I can work out a no tax deal with him. What is he like to deal with? Is he willing to work with you? Your new project sounds like a big one. But if it turns out like your last one it will be killer.

Comment

Maybe I can work out a no tax deal with him. What is he like to deal with? Is he willing to work with you? Your new project sounds like a big one. But if it turns out like your last one it will be killer.
                          He's very flexible. When I went to pick up my KV1, he had his hours recorded, because that's how he normally figures out the price. Well it worked out to be a lot more than what I actually paid. It was almost $1,000. He chopped that down quite a bit for me which was very cool of him considering the work he put into it.

All I can say, is just ask him. You never know.

So you're going back to solid black? I considered it, since mine was originally black too. I was considering replacing the Kahler bridge, and putting it back to stock condition. In the end, I decided it would be cooler to have something a little more unique, but black is always cool.

I haven't decided what finish I'm going to do on the new V. I might just go plain black with aged brass hardware. I already have some nice tarnished solid brass knobs, and a really sweet tarnished solid brass toggle switch. The problem is, I don't know where I would get tuners or a bridge to match. They would have to be real brass, and not gold plated or they wouldn't look right. No matter, I have plenty of time to figure it out.

Comment

Well I might set up a meeting soon and get the KV to him as soon as I can. Yes I am going either back to Black or with the Ferrari Red. I want it to be like the way it was when it was new. How long did it take for him to get the KV back to you? I have a DK2 body that I am going to use as my first painting progect for myself I was thinking of doing a burst on it we will see.

Comment

Well I might set up a meeting soon and get the KV to him as soon as I can. Yes I am going either back to Black or with the Ferrari Red. I want it to be like the way it was when it was new. How long did it take for him to get the KV back to you? I have a DK2 body that I am going to use as my first painting progect for myself I was thinking of doing a burst on it we will see.
                              I have other projects that I plan on painting myself too. Unfortunately I'm not an autobody guy, so I have very little experience painting with anything other than rattle cans.

Freddy had mine for a pretty long time. I'm not sure exactly how long, maybe 6 months, but it's partially my fault. I told him that there was no hurry, which to be honest there wasn't in my case. Besides, I think he was a lot busier this summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X