Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artificial Harmonics...how to do it 100% accurate??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Harmonics...how to do it 100% accurate??

Hi! i find it really difficult to artificial harmonics like zakk wylde or Alexi lai or people in death metal always do....
    what is the secret or tips to play a.h. accurate and screams in a high pitch?? also how to they manage to do artifical harmonics in the 1,2,3, string..i tfind that very difficult

Re: Artificial Harmonics...how to do it 100% accurate??

High gain + distortion + the right spot of each string

Comment

the question is a little vague...but i think you're asking about pinch harmonics when referring to zakk...as far as the requirements?...see miffy's post above for sound...when you pick the string, choke up on your pick so a small part of your thumb hits it right after the pick does...with practice you'll be doing them all over the place...be aware that changing the position of your pick hand will result in various tones and notes...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Also, the action has alot to do with this technique as well. Your action should be set fairly low. It becomes very easy to do once this set up has been done.
        1990 Jackson Professional
        1992 Dean ML
        2004 Epiphone Flying V
        2005 Epiphone Dot
        2009 Fender Stratocaster
        2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
        2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
        2006 Fender P Bass
        2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
        1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
        1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
        Custom Pedalboard
        ADA MP1
        ADA FX2
        Tascam 2488

Comment

I believe string gauge also has to do with p.h. isn't it? I've heard that Zakk uses pretty "thick" 6th string to get that full sound.

Comment

(zakk)ive read some where that his 6th string is a 70, unlike his signature ghs sets which are like 52's i think [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Hello,
              Here is my technique. First, High gain certainly helps when your learning but they can be achieved without it as well, even on an acoustic! Next, yes, do choke up on the pick and allow the flesh of your thumb to contact the string jsut moments after the pick. milliseconds.
              Here is my technique in addition to the above correct suggestions. Do not angle your pick so as to intentionally make contact with the string after the pick. You wont get the volume and sustain regarding the pinch harmonic/artificial harmonic. Instead pick down into the string and allow your thumb to rest lightly and momentarilly on the string. When I want to squeal the string longer I will sometimes do this and you get a different squeal as well. Or pick down (towards the back of the guitar, experiment with different angles) and release.
              When I was learning I used a thin pick, new strings and used the 4th string and 5th. Good luck,post your progress.

Comment

I've found that practicing on an acoustic guitar or the clean channel with an electric guitar will give be more "frank" and "honest" with you. Distortion is like makeup... it covers a lot of flaws. If you practice squeezing out great harmonics without distortion, imagine how clear and great they will sound when you finally put on all the effects.

There's a picking "sweet spot" on every string for every fret position. You can spend your time hunting them down and memorizing whatever 24 multiplied by 6 gives you, or you can just do what I do and try to crank them out from where your picking hand is happy at the moment. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ths g-spot of string in p.h. is actually based on the same theory as natural harmonics. So, just as in n.h. the 12th fret harmonics is the easiest to play, for p.h., in the lower position, the g-spot is approximately in the middle of the bridge and the fret you want to pinch, and so it's somewhere between the neck pickup and the end of the neck. As for higher position namely above the 12th fret, it's kinda between the bridge pup and neck pup. Just a thought. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Zakk uses a .70? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Isn't it almost a bass then? How can the neck sustain the tension?

Comment

Zakk uses a .70? Isn't it almost a bass then? How can the neck sustain the tension?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">tuned down to c, it aint that tence [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

how does action have any bearing on artificial harmonics? Since you are hitting harmonics at node points along a string, suspended from nut to bridge, or fret to bridge, how is the string affected by the height from the frets? Does the break angle at the bridge or nut/fret really play that big a part? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I wouldn't think so. Hit 'em right, and you should be able to play artificial harmonics on a guitar string suspended across a doorway.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

I think his E string is 60 not 70.

Comment

Wow...thanks for all the help from you guys!!
                          Well..i've tried most of the methods mentioned, and i found some that really works for me!!! its quite annoying that the positions are different for every note...
                          anyways i still have to train on it to get it 100% right..
                          i fell in love with this forum cos the people are so nice and thousands of people answer my posts unlike many other forums....keep shredding guys!! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

zakk wylde tunes down to B or even A for some of the BLS stuff.. loooow!

The G string on 2nd, 4th, 6th frets gives you some great pinched harmonics, really manic ones.

Also with zakk wylde he steps on a wah wah and adds his major vibrato to get the ace squeals.

If you want to hear some good squeals, which are even used as part of solos etc then check out Tom Naumann from Primal Fear, particularly these songs:

Save a Prayer (this song is awesome for pick squeals)
                            Church of Blood
                            Angel in Black
                            Chainbreaker (on link below)

Also on his home page theres some cound clips: http://www.tomnaumann.com/soundcenter_fr.htm

Primal Fear are awesome, they out harmonise Maiden with their twin guitars [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The higher the action, the duller the Harmonic. The harder it will be to hit them(especially for a newb) Try it if you don't believe me. It also hinders your tone as well. Too close of action will produce unfavorable tone as well. But what do I know, I've only been playing for 30 years.
                              1990 Jackson Professional
                              1992 Dean ML
                              2004 Epiphone Flying V
                              2005 Epiphone Dot
                              2009 Fender Stratocaster
                              2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
                              2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
                              2006 Fender P Bass
                              2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
                              1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
                              1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
                              Custom Pedalboard