How deep did you scallop your neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How deep did you scallop your neck?

How deep did you scallop your neck? I am scalloping my first neck and at the moment I am considering how deep the scallops should be. For now my scallops is 2mm deep (measured from fret tops) and that feels great, but I think I will have another go at it and make them a little deeper. I see that Warmoth make theirs 1/8" deep (3 mm).
    What are the pro and cons with deep scallops?
    Claus.

cons - neck warping/breaking, if you do it on the lower frets you may need to adjust your pressure to intonate properly.

Comment

I have a scalloped Warmoth neck arriving next Wednesday - I'll tell you then

Comment

The chances of the neck warping and breaking from scallops are slim to none... most of the necks strength is from the neck itself, not the fretboard. Go as deep as you want, just dont hit the truss rod!
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

What's a good primer of info regarding scalloped necks, anyway?...I'd think it would really complicate playing more so than help. I know Yngwie does it but what kinda crazy skill would it take to ensure that you don't go sharp all the time during vibrato?

Comment

You get used to it. anyone and every is sharp all over the place when they first play a scalloped instrument. as you learn to relax on it you will be smoother and faster and the pitch thing will fix itself.
            BTW I love my yngwie scalloped guitar

http://web.mac.com/IIIMK/iWeb/Site/Yngwie%20Strat.html
            http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

I'd stick with the Warmoth specs. I have one of their scalloped necks and I think it is done very well.
              GM,
              www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                I'd stick with the Warmoth specs. I have one of their scalloped necks and I think it is done very well.
                That was actually also what I had intended, unless any of you has arguments for something different...
                Claus.

Comment

This is how it's done. Period.
                  750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                    That looks like a melted chocolate bar with some nuts. :ROTF:
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

MY EYES!! Some one should put an end to that poor fretboards missery.

Comment

What did you use a Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
                          +1 I also have a 2003 YJM and the newer ones are even deeper. I like my Warmoth the best because it's wider at the nut than my YJM. I went with a 1-11/16" (43mm) width.

For more background check out "The Master Luthier" Dan Erlewine's description and analysis of scalloped fretboards in the Guitar Player Repair Guide.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

holy shit NOR what did you do chew the wood with your teeth.

Comment

That pics is as famous as stabbed poo.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X