2-3/16" heel Rhoads???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-3/16" heel Rhoads???

I just got this in today... http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-RHOADS-V...QQcmdZViewItem

And sure enough it has a 2-3/16ths heel. Im also almost positive that the back is Mahagony as well... what the hell did I buy? Its in PERFECT condition and it sure is a beautiful body, but none of my necks fit!

Ive never seen a Jackson with a small heel like this, so Im kinda stumped.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Well it's an RX10D body.
    That much I can tell you.
    Not sure how the neck pocket got smaller.
    -Rick

Comment

Weren't the X-series made in India for a bit? If this is MII, it might explain it, since it seems the JS series also have smaller heels/pockets. Does the body have a pleasant cedar smell to it? Indian Cedro.

Comment

Is Cedro a darker grained wood? What ever it is, its much darker than alder or basswood. Also he had an RX10D neck for sale in another auction so Im pretty sure its a legit body.

Kinda sucks because I cant use the neck I was planning to on it. I could always use the mighty mite strat neck I have laying around! :ROTF:
        Last edited by RobRR; 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

This is the Made in India version of RX10D before production was moved to Japan, circa 1999/2000/2001 or so. All these Indian models including DX10 & early DX10D had mahogany bodies and a 2-3/16 inch heel

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
            This is the Made in India version of RX10D before production was moved to Japan, circa 1999/2000/2001 or so. All these Indian models including DX10 & early DX10D had mahogany bodies and a 2-3/16 inch heel
            wow.......... ron.......... did you get a new account.....
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Mahogony, not Cedro? Thats nice to know! ...but I still dont have a damn neck for it!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                Mahogony, not Cedro? Thats nice to know! ...but I still dont have a damn neck for it!
                I've always thought these were Mahogany (they sure look like Mahogany), but I'm not familiar with Cedro and have not personally heard it being used in guitar bodies.

For the neck.....RX10D was a 22 fretter, so a strat neck or an aftermarket 22 fret pointy neck (warmoth? MM? etc.) with 2-3/16 heel should work, but I'm not sure how the intonation will sort itself out. It might be OK though since 22 fret Jackson conform to Fender scale lengths.

Comment

Cedro is indeed a dark colored wood, but you should be able to tell from the smell if it's cedro or not.

Comment

see if you can find an old chandler pointy neck. they pop up on the bay & are real nice.

Comment

Cedro and mahogany are about the same color. Cedro does not have a very strong cedar smell, so you may not be able to smell it. But Cedro is much lighter than mahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post
                        Cedro and mahogany are about the same color. Cedro does not have a very strong cedar smell, so you may not be able to smell it. But Cedro is much lighter than mahogany.
                        Is Cedro used for guitar bodies?

Comment

Is Cedro used for guitar bodies?
                          Jackson is using them on hs series.

Comment

Found this description online.

Cedro is a medium-lightweight wood. It is very stiff in comparison to its weight and is also very resistant against twisting and warping. It has a brown-red colour without a very characteristic structure. C. looks similar to several Mahogany species.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, not having a neck to use on the body, I set it aside for a while. Today I decided to build a box to hold all the bodies I have laying around. I got to really checking out the Rhoads body with the small neck pocket... and was PLEASANTLY surprised to find that it has a 3/16" thick flame maple top! At first I figured it was just a lam like every other one... but while looking at the neck pocket, I noticed that theres a 3/16" slab of maple on top of that bitch!

Comment

Working...
                              X