X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feedback from bridge pick up

hi,
    my new sl-1 has a feedback problem.
    i tried it at band volume for the first time last friday during band practice.
    if i use the neck pick up ( a seymour duncan hot rails ) i don`t get any feedback but when i switch to the bridge pick ups ( seymour duncan jb ) the feedback is really undearable.
    it`s not a matter of being close to the amp, as the problem doesn`t happen when i use the neck pu.
    what could make a pickup feedback?
    loose wire? any ideas?
    i haven`t had a look at the electrics but i thought about asking here first.

thanks

I'm assuming by feedback you mean pickup squeal? Your pickup probably needs potted(wax coating) also you can make sure your pickup doesn't make any contact with the body by putting a piece of foam under the pickup. Other than that some pickups are suseptable to this no matter what?

Comment

A SD JB should not need to be potted to work correctly.......Plus you're saying that proximity to the amp makes no difference...............So it appears to me that something else is amiss. You mentioned that your neck pickup is a Hot Rail. I believe SL1 comes with the Classic Stack (stacked) single coils......If your neck pickup was indeed changed, it might be that some of the wiring has not been correctly been put back together???? Having said this I should also add that I am not sure how wiring issues could cause feedback, as this sort of feedback (squealing) is initially generated acoustically and not electrically....Wiring issues could cause low or no output, buzzing, hum...................Any knowledgeable JCF'ers care to comment? The only other thing I can think of is a defective JB????
      Last edited by Mr Metal; 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM.

Comment

hi, thanks for the reply.
        yes, it`s pick up squeal indeed, and pretty bad when i`m not playing.
        well, i also thought that bad wiring would cause defective out put ( low, or no output at all ), but then again, i got the guitar second hand and it already came with the hotrails and if the wiring was bad i don`t understand why it would affect the bridge pickup and not the neck one.
        also, i`m a bit reluctant to try to fix it by myself because then i won`t be able to try the guitar at home at band volume and have to wait to go to practice with 2 guitars in case the sl-1 doesn`t work.
        when i play it at home it works perfectly.

but thanks anyway

Comment

1. Are you using a high gain amp at rehearsal with the band?
          2. If somebody messed with the neck pup it's possible they broke a ground on the bridge pup when they were inside the cavity.

Comment

check the wiring. if the bridge was disconnected from the ground or the tone knob circuit it could cause the squealing. i've found that even with no sheilding at all if your wiring is good you shouldn't have any squealing if your standing at the front of the stage at any volume.

make sure the wire from the knobs to the bridge trem spring claw is secure.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

There may be a bad solder connection or a wire touching another wire.Check the wiring first.The wire is really thin and one strand may be touching another lug on the pot.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
              X