DiMarzio Super Distortion PU Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Super Distortion PU Question

Don't know if this is the correct outlet but...

When it comes to older DiMarzio Super Distortion PU's, when were the braided wire conductor leads used... late 70's early 80's?

And when did the black plastic covered conductor wire examples come into play?

I'm trying to semi-ass date reference Super Distortion PUs.

Thanks Vince.
    Turn that Sh......... down!

That depends. Two conductor with the braided ground would be 70s early 80s
    The early ones (72-73) had a laminated bobbins.Its hard to tell but take a magnifying glass and look closely and you will see the layers.
    The early ones don't have a model number like the new ones.
    As far as when they went to 4 conductor wire I have no clue.
    I just test them and what ever the resitances is tells what it is.
    Hamer used to solder the pole pieces why I don't know.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Now on resistance is there a big difference between present day models and late 70s early 80's Super Distortions?

Thanks again Vince
      Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

Well the newer ones are 13k avearge my 72 laminated bobbin is 14.6k.So I guess its an overwound version.I have several from the mid 80s and they range from 11.7k to 13k.The older ones seem to have a fat low end and nice mids.The new ones seem more toward the mids and highs.
        I just like vintage pickups, just bought an older set consisting of 1 PAF pro and 2 singles should sound killer in something.
        I raid junk boxes at the guitar shops I frequent and come up with lots of so called junk pickups that really sound great.
        I have an old super D double creme that reads 9.7k and I can't wait to put it in something.It may be a turd but who knows.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
        X