Crazy Train solo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Train solo...

I can do most of the solo, but this one part keeps giving me trouble. It's when he does the repeated tapping all the way up to the 22nd fret. I just cant get the string to sound loud or strong enough.

Re: Crazy Train solo...

Thats because you're not allowed to play that song.

I checked.. it's on the list.

Stairway to Heaven
    Smoke on the Water
    Cat Scratch Fever
    Wanted Dead or Alive
    Hotel California. (unless you can pull off the solo with impeccable timming)
    Crazy Train

See.. I told ya.. the official list of songs no one wants to hear.. brought to you by the Association of Music Store Employees [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously.. I know what you're talking about, I too have to work to get the volume. I jam my finger as hard as I can, but if I hit it too hard.. I risk getting sloppy.

It really seems to take alot of pressure to keep the string vibrating throughout that run.

I've found that a higher action helps my tapping.

Comment

Don't you mean the 21st fret ?? I have slow fingers, so I always tapped it with my pick.

Matt

Comment

yea i meant to change it to 21st, but i ran out of time on the edit

Comment

I was wondering that too. When I read the post, I gave it a quick run through and couldn't work out where there is a tapping section on the 22nd fret. So I figured you meant the trills up to the 21st fret? I can't imagine tapping that section, but then, my fast tapping sounds like crap. Easier for me to trill that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          Hail yesterday

Comment

brought to you by the Association of Music Store Employees
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">haha, I ran into that myself...I was trying to show this one guy how I couldn't get a clean tone out of the clean channel on this amp, and he's adjusting it, and is asking me to play something while he does it, and he suggests "Stairway to Heaven" so I don't even get through the first chord, and this guy in the back of the store yells "NO STAIRWAY!" and the guy who was helping me just started laughing...

Cheers,
            Nick

Comment

I agree with DM ... that part was not tapped by Randy - it was played with trills, which is how I do it. So if that's how Randy did it, it would be wrong to try it with tapping! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

It is a trill, not a tap. The trick is to let your "trill finger drag your pointer(anchor) finger up the neck. If you push with your pointer finger you will loose sustain and the run will crap out at the end.

Comment

The way I do it is to alternate tapping and trilling (one note tapped the next trilled). This produces an ultra fast hammer-on/pull-off. I'm not good enough to play like Randy, so I might as well throw a little bit of my own flavor in there.

Comment

When I'm playing that solo which I'm not that good at anyway I do it the way it's done on the tribute CD....it's much easier that way and that's the way he played it live anyway. It's basically just a trill between your index and ring finger.

One part I have trouble with is getting to that bend while your tapping...this is right after the first tapping "sequence". I can never get it to sound right...I swear the tab is wrong.

Comment

My take on it... triple tracked, blah blah blah:

http://members.cox.net/okstrat/crazytrainsolomp3.mp3

Pete

Comment

Nice!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Man your bending is awesome! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

damn, dude! that's awesome! you rock the big one! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            the trend is dead r.i.p. dime

Comment

I tap it with the edge of my pick to keep up the volume..(may not be right by some standards...but works for me)...
                              Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X