New Tech Article ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tech Article ideas

Call me crazy (not saying I'm not ) but I had a couple ideas for some Tech articles - anyone want to participate?

First up, Fret Buzz Defined: The idea here would be MP3 and/or Video (with sound) defining fret buzz, from the very minor to the absolute worst, detailing both unamplified and amplified (some buzz is only noticeable when the guitar is unplugged). This, to me, would avoid a lot of confusion when folks come here looking for fret buzz answers as many people have different levels of tolerance for it, so one man's "buzz" is another's "meh".
    Also not everyone has a set of feeler guages and/or calipers to measure action with, and there's really no need for them unless you're a professional guitar tech (and know how to calibrate calipers).

Secondly, maybe for the Amp section, an audio guide to signal paths: Putting different pedals in different positions in the path to hear the tonal differences - wah first, middle, last, etc etc.

Anyone else?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    Call me crazy (not saying I'm not ) but I had a couple ideas for some Tech articles - anyone want to participate?

First up, Fret Buzz Defined: The idea here would be MP3 and/or Video (with sound) defining fret buzz, from the very minor to the absolute worst, detailing both unamplified and amplified (some buzz is only noticeable when the guitar is unplugged). This, to me, would avoid a lot of confusion when folks come here looking for fret buzz answers as many people have different levels of tolerance for it, so one man's "buzz" is another's "meh".
    Also not everyone has a set of feeler guages and/or calipers to measure action with, and there's really no need for them unless you're a professional guitar tech (and know how to calibrate calipers).

Secondly, maybe for the Amp section, an audio guide to signal paths: Putting different pedals in different positions in the path to hear the tonal differences - wah first, middle, last, etc etc.

Anyone else?
    I've been playing for just a couple of years, so I don't have anything to contribute to something like that, but I know it would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like an easy way (for me) to tap into the collective years of experience on the board. Especially the electronics aspects like amps and effects.

Comment

I'd contribute whatever i can.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

isnt it illegal to pass buzzing material across state lines? just sayin...
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I can record some fret buzz and the signal path guide idea sounds good to me, because I haven't been able to take the time to learn much about amps/sound processing
          Last edited by anuske9; 11-21-2007, 05:56 PM.
          -Adam

Comment

Working...
          X