Maple vs Ebony vs Rosewood Fretboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple vs Ebony vs Rosewood Fretboards

As the title says, which do you prefer and why?
    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

they each have there own sound and place. and in the end, its always personal preference vs. asthetics.

i prefer rosewood with a les paul. -tonal reasons
    ebony with a flying V/explorer -tonal reasons

basswood body -still undecided tonaly, would most likely choose bassed on looks. probably maple.

alder body, i could go either way. right now i'm digging alder with a maple neck. but rosewood, ebony, and pao ferro boards all sound great on alder. -again i'd base it on looks and maybe what the other guitarist has in a 2 guitar band. you know, try and keep it a little different.

maple neck with a maple body

mohagany body w/no maple cap i'd want ebony. -tonal reasons
    mohagany body with maple cap i'd want rosewood. -tonal reasons

but then again, it also depends on the finsih and body style. looks are important to me aswell so i could go against any of the above for the right look with a certain guitar.

bottom line is prefernce vs. looks.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ebony is my favorite. I Just prefer the feel slightly over the others.

Comment

They are all the same. No difference

This topic seems to come up every other week. Sorry
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Maple and Ebony are my favorite two. It all depends on the wood of the guitar body for me, I try to complement the woods.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Not another maple, rosewood and ebony fretboard personal favorite thread.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Rosewood or ebony for me... i don't really like maple fretboards. Then again i've never played one with jumbo frets, i'm pretty convinced there wouldn't be much difference in feel.
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Maple and Ebony for me as well, I love the feel of ebony and the speed of maple. They both have different tonal qualities for me as well.

Comment

I like Ebony for asthetics, but for tone I like Rosewood

Comment

Originally posted by jacksoncsplayer View Post
                    Maple and Ebony for me as well, I love the feel of ebony and the speed of maple. They both have different tonal qualities for me as well.
                    Do you really feel that maple is faster?
                    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

I do think maple is a little faster. I'm not sure what it is about maple but I am able to play a little cleaner and faster especially doing hammer ons and pull offs which I do alot of. But that's me.

Comment

i really dont see how the fretboard wood effects playing. its all in your head. personally i like ebony for looks, tonally they each have there place.

Comment

I don't think it's all in my head :ROTF: but it very well may be. I prefer the tight grain on an oiled maple board over the rough wide spaced grain of rosewood. I press a little firm so it allows me to move cleaner and faster. I also think maple is a harder wood which I like as well. Again my perception only and it is my preferance.

Comment

It's actually more in the fret size than the board material. While a loose-grained wood like rosewood will absorb more of the acoustic tone and harder woods like maple and ebony will reflect it back more, in the end it doesn't really transfer to the amp, especially with distortion.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              in the end it doesn't really transfer to the amp, especially with distortion.
                              i disagree. i hear a distinct difference in the amped distorted tone. granted it is subtle, but defenately distinct.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X