Women Can Butt Floss, Now Guitarists Can "Nut" Floss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women Can Butt Floss, Now Guitarists Can "Nut" Floss

There are several products available to lubricate "the nut" on a guitar's neck. If you're poor like me, graphite from a common pencil has always worked well. However, I've been "schooled" by one of the top players in the Shreveport/Bossier City area.

Mr. Greg Fulco, guitarist for BUSHROD JENKINS and The Wonderdogs, was having tuning problems with his '68 Les Paul Custom. It seemed that he was having a little string stickage (is that a word) at the nut. So, being the creative soul that he is, he headed to the medicine cabinet and pulled out the Crest Wide Glide Dental Floss.

Greg cut the floss into 1/4 inch pieces, then loosened the strings on his Paul. He then placed the 1/4 inch pieces into the nut slots, lengthwise. He replaced the strings and retuned them to pitch. Guess what, no more stickage (it may not be a word, but I like it). He took the liberty to floss my LP Standard and I'll be damned, it works great!

Now, we have the healthiest strings in town!

Mr G
    "POOP"

That has to be one of the most bizarre fixes I've ever heard of ...
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

You're Welcome!
      "POOP"

Comment

Doesn't sound like it'd be too good for sustain?

Comment

Do you really think a sliver of dental floss is going to adversly affect sustain?
          "POOP"

Comment

Um, yes, I actually think it might. It'd be kind of like putting a piece of paper between your nut and strings, no? Muffling the strings, in essence.

Whether it works or not, it sure sounds goofy.

Comment

Hey, I'll be the first to admit, it sounded goofy as shit to me too! But it works. Try it, what have you got to lose? Note: Use "unused" floss so that you don't get food particles between the nut and your strings. That WILL affect sustain!
              "POOP"

Comment

No thanks. Graphite nuts and locking tuners work just fine for me.

Comment

"POOP"

Comment

Are you using flavored floss? ..does the flavor affect the tone?
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Spearmint floss gives me a brighter tone! Can't use it on my koa bodied strat with the ebony neck. Sounds too much like a ukulele.
                      "POOP"

Comment

If it does affect tone/sustain, it would just do so for the open strings (theoretically). Unless there's some obscure law of physics i'm unaware of
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                        X