Gibson LP Tune O Matic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson LP Tune O Matic Question

I have a Standard Les Paul in my family that I need to change out the TOM and was wondering what I needed to know about swapping in a new bridge. Obviously, they don't come notched and I know the neck radius comes in to play. Is this something that can be done or do I need to take it to someone here in Dallas?

Any ideas?

Comment

probably have a tech do it if you are not confident in your skills...or, a set of saddles is cheap enough, so if you have a set of small enough files you could give it a shot if you wanted to

Comment

The best way to set the radius is to use a radius template or gauge. Stew Mac sells them or buy the Dan Erlewine book, "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Sound Great". There are "punch out" templates in the back. Match your radius to the neck (last fret) and use the template from below the strings. Use your jewelers file to notch the saddles until it reaches the top of the radius template at each string. I tape the template securely to the bridge before doing this. The G and D strings will be at the top most part of the saddle naturally due to the radius. For more check out his books or video's. They are just invaluable to us guitar players. Dan is the "Man"!
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

And in any case, you may want to consider the TonePros TOM bridge, I installed it in my LP and am very happy with the result.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
            And in any case, you may want to consider the TonePros TOM bridge, I installed it in my LP and am very happy with the result.
            +1 I have them on most of my LP's including the stop piece. Good for tone. And especially nice when it comes to restringing
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys! I appreciate it!

Comment

There are some TOM bridges that come notched they are made in Japan by Gotoh. Very high quality. They make a Nashville style and an ABR-1 style.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

[QUOTE][There are some TOM bridges that come notched they are made in Japan by Gotoh. Very high quality. They make a Nashville style and an ABR-1 style./QUOTE]

+1.
                  I've replaced my TOM with a gotoh, pretty much a straight swap.

Comment

you can get the TonePros already notched. i highly recommend them. straight swap, just get the standard with the small posts.

nickle

chrome
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[quote=Gartron;1013816]
                      [There are some TOM bridges that come notched they are made in Japan by Gotoh. Very high quality. They make a Nashville style and an ABR-1 style./QUOTE]

+1.
                      I've replaced my TOM with a gotoh, pretty much a straight swap.
                      Also using a Gotoh, on my Mini Bich. The saddles are very lightly notched, so you can fine tune the depth to the radius, if you desire. Mine happened to match the FB well enough that I didn't need to notch them any deeper.

Comment

Working...
                      X