Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some form of streching one can do before playing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some form of streching one can do before playing ?

This is an odd thing, but recently when trempicking or any sort of fast playing, my elbow of my picking arm has started to hurt.

Are there any streches or warm ups I can do to help stop this ? Im worried it could grow to a serious problem.

Re: Some form of streching one can do before playing ?

I do this warm up about 2-3 a day, usualy when i first pickup the guitar up in the morning.
    -1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------1-2-3 -4----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-
    You that and then you move forward 1 fret and do it backwards until you reach the 12th fret.

Comment

Crap! that doesn't quite look like it was ment to! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ooo well, you just sort of play 1-2-3-4 on low E than move down too A then too D and so on.Then when you reach the high E you move down 1 fret, so its like 2-3-4-5, then keep on doing that untill you reach the 12th fret, hope that helps. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

That'll warm up the fingers; what about his elbow? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Put your elbow in the microwave that should warm it up! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I don't really know how to warm your elbow up.

[ December 21, 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: phanto ]

Comment

sounds like you need to relax when you're playing. That pain in your elbow often comes from tension from you're gripping your pick too tight, or while you're concentrating on a difficult or new piece.

Play slowly for a while before you start really blazing. Kick things off with a couple of easy strumming tunes to get your elbow warmed up before you hit the fast or high-precision stuff.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

I had the same problem but it's getting better now. My solution is to do a little adjustment to where your elbow rest on the guitar. And also warmin up it important too. I suggest you download or buy JP's instructional video, it comes with a very detailed warming up lesson. IHMO, the only thing worth buyin for that video. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Let me know if you need more info.
              Cham

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                That'll warm up the fingers; what about his elbow? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ron, I'll bet I know how you warm up your elbow.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But anyway, back to the business at hand, did you not see all the spelling and punctuation errors in there? Bro, your age is starting to show. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

i usually stretch by flicking off atleast five old ladies before playing.

but seriously, i just do the same thing as Phanto said. On Troy Stetina's website he says you can do other stuff like gripping a ball or running hot water of your hand to loosen it up. don't know about that. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
                    did you not see all the spelling and punctuation errors in there?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where ma deputies at? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I sometimes get slight pain in my right picking Forearm when it,s cold like it is now [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . I always warm up slowly etc and do the JP excersizes..but I,ve found now I put my arms in a basin of luke warm water for 3 or 4 minutes and gradually warm it up...

Makes the wolrd of difference imo as it gets the blood circulating to your extremities [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wolf

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mm2002:
                        did you not see all the spelling and punctuation errors in there?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where ma deputies at? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right here, sir!

meant* / then* / to* / until*
                        [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X