Pick Scratch Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Scratch Syndrome

I've bought many electric guitars that have severe pick scratching from the high e string all the way to the bottom of the body and I am curious to know how they ever get there?? Maybe it's just me but when I play my pick hand rarely leaves the bridge and the pick never even comes anywhere close to the body, even when strumming heavy chords. What's up with that?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Re: Pick Scratch Syndrome

Ask Pete Townsend.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I agree.. I never understood it. I guess it is unique or bad technique.

Rich

Comment

bymm2002
        What's up with that?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Too much alcohol [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

All my guitars have PSS. I use heavy picks and a very heavy right hand. I also use alot of open string and full barre chords which use all of the strings so I am always hitting the body.

Comment

I have an SG200 Ibanez bass with the worst case of PSS you'll ever see. totally cover with pick scratches, back and front. Will post a pic later..

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLANDER:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">bymm2002
              What's up with that?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Too much alcohol [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Alcohol causes pick scratches? ....well I guess I can see your point. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't get it. If you us a wide sweeping stroke with your pick, runnig off of the high E string, hitting the body, and sliding all the way to the bottom, and back up again....how do you control anything? I just don't get it. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

That also confused me for a long time - how in the hell does your pick get all the way down there? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But then it hit me - it's not the pick itself, it's your fingernails (those who rest their finger tips on the body when picking, anyway). I don't guess Lynch has any pick scratches (or pickING scratches), since he always played like he was playing on wet-paint [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X