1500grit for frets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1500grit for frets?

I watched my buddy setup his guitar a few days ago. To clean his frets he used some 1500grit sandpaper on a sanding block. Couple of rubs up and down and his frets were shiny, shiny. Anybody else use this method?

john

I always use 0000 Steel Wool. I'd be afraid of using sandpaper. Did he mask the fretboard when he did this? Steel Wool works great. Only thing to remember is to cover the pickups very well or take the neck off altogether. Otherwise the pickup's exposed polepieces attract all the loose steel particles which is almost impossible to ever get rid of.

Comment

You can use wet or dry paper for polishing frets, provided that it's a very fine grade. OOOO grade steel wool, followed by some lemon oil will finish the frets off.

Whitewolf
      I ain't no rocker!

Comment

I find that using a Dremel with a tiny buffing wheel and bit of compound works incredibly well. Those frets are like mirrors once I'm done with it.
        Only takes about 10 minutes to do.

It's wise to tape up the fretboard though, and go easy near the fret ends by the binding, if any.

Comment

I use a Dremel for it too, and same with taping off the fretboard. I use Mothers Mag Wheel Polish for the compound. It is fast and they look like chrome afterwards.

Comment

I use 4000 grit sandpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolf View Post
              You can use wet or dry paper for polishing frets, provided that it's a very fine grade. OOOO grade steel wool, followed by some lemon oil will finish the frets off.

Whitewolf
              Does the lemon oil help keep them from Tarnishing?
              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I use MicroMesh pads from StewMac - work great!

http://tinyurl.com/37cg2h
                "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
                  I think so. I usually just use lemon oil and a toothbrush on the board and frets.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDoug View Post
                    I use a Dremel for it too, and same with taping off the fretboard. I use Mothers Mag Wheel Polish for the compound. It is fast and they look like chrome afterwards.

+1 StewMac sells a buffing wheel with compound embedded within the wheel. I use it all the time with less mess. I found it to be a little cleaner than chasing the Mothers off the neck.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

what... you mean the Kleenex brand?
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

scotch brite pads. works as well as steel wool but no metal shavings

Comment

1500grit for frets?

> I'm of the opinion that 1500-2000 sandpaper should do no real harm to frets. I've used it to lap stainless steel,tool steel,CR/HR steel,Ti,and aluminum and it works great,but is quite a bit of work. I've also used it for years on pool cue shafts,spinning them at 1500 rpm,they come out so slick they look like they've been clearcoated. It generates a LOT of heat from friction though.

Someone mentioned Scotch-Brite,and that is as bad of an idea as Greedo shooting at Han Solo first. The common green version is the rough equivalent of 400 paper,which will eat the frets up if used enough. There is a version that is supposed to be in the 1500 range,but it's white,and not real common.

Using a Dremel wheel and polishing compound or a metal polish should be the last step. As mentioned earlier,tape the fretboard. Tommy D.
                          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
                            No the lemon oil doesn't stop the frets from tarnishing, as it's intended to preserve wood only. Fine grade wet or dry paper is sometimes used on a sanding block for minor fret leveling and it polishes the frets also....still good to finish off with OOOO grade steel wool though, but remember to tape your pickups first!

WhiteWolf
                            I ain't no rocker!

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                              Is this sandpaper like what we in Downunder call 'wet or dry' paper? Cleaning and leveling frets with sandpaper is a popular method....just need to use light and even pressure when sanding. A 1" paintbrush is good for dusting too....frets, head, bridge, etc. And let's not forget a good polish for the paintwork either....I use D'Addario and have found it to be high quality.

WhiteWolf
                              I ain't no rocker!

Comment

Working...
                              X