emg 81 neck or bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emg 81 neck or bridge?

which sounds the best. an emg in the neck or bridge?
    don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
    http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...597cebb139.jpg

There are many opinions. I like the 81 in the neck position, in mahogany bodied guitars especially.
    I have an 85 in the bridge of the Model 88, and like the sound of it.

Here is one recent thread:
    http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...ghlight=emg+81
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 11-15-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I also like 85 or 89 in the bridge and 81, 85 or 89 in the neck. 81 in the bridge is too much for me personally but a lot of people like it. Zakk Wylde does 81 in bridge and 85 in neck, and Kirk Hammett uses 81 in bridge and neck

Comment

I'd personally rather run dual 85s than put an 81 in a guitar.

Comment

It's what they call "subjective."
          |My CSG gallery|
          (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I have a 81 in the neck and bridge but don't know how it sounds 'cause I'm not done building it yet I have always wondered what sounds better I have herd the 81s are a little ruff sounding. what do the 85 & 89 sound like?????
            Last edited by Coyote; 11-15-2007, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I put my EMG's in here:

It's the best they've ever sounded!!
              Last edited by J.C. Harrist; 11-17-2007, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. Harrist View Post
                I put my EMG's in here:

It's the best they've ever sounded!!
                :ROTF:
                Now thats funny !
                I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

are they that bad?
                  don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
                  http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...597cebb139.jpg

Comment

Search EMG in this forum.
                    There are too many opinions plus and minus to let anyone else
                    decide it for you.
                    I've only used 81's and 85's...and the characteristics vary from guitar to guitar. What I like most about either is they are virtually noiseless. Great for home recording, where electromagnetic interference is everywhere, and tough to control. (I can hear my neighbor's light dimmers in our power supply!).
                    They are "nuetral", as they don't add their own color to the sound of the guitar. Putting EMG's in a cheap guitar just magnifies the cheap guitar.
                    If you like the sound of the guitar unplugged, then it's a good candidate.
                    They don't have a magnetic pull on the strings. This can do a couple of things. If the guitar has good resonanance, then the harmonics will come off well. But the magnetism of a conventional alnico pickup can actually add some of those harmonics, because of the pull. The passive pickup can be set extremely close to the strings. I have found that setting EMG's too close makes them sound "fizzy", and thin, though.
                    If you already have one, and want to try it, have at it. If you are thinking of buying one, then try it already set up in a similar guitar and rig.
                    The only downside, I have found, also serves as a benefit: they are very predictable. You won't won't get a lot of "mojo" out of them. The best way to take advantage is post processing through effects and amp settings.
                    I notice a lot new forum members jump in and trash them, then don't mention it much. I think it's a snob disease they pick up from other boards.
                    I like them in the right situations, and love old wound pickups for others.
                    Half a zillion pro guitarists can't be wrong...EMG's are still very popular.

Comment

I couldn't have worded it any better, Cygnus X1.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        +2
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                          Thanks, wil...although I did get a bit "wordy" with it.
                          All before I finished my first cup of coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by usmc50bmgsniper92 View Post
                            are they that bad?
                            USMC, it's all subjective, just like liking or not liking any other pickup. You have a lot of famous and not-so-famous people who will only use EMGs....And you have people who will not touch them. Just go on the EMG website and check out all the endorsers and read and learn about the pickups, and when you have the chance, try a guitar with EMGs in it.......All in all, EMG is a successful company with a long track record. This is not to defend EMG in any way, just trying to put things in perspective a bit
                            Last edited by Mr Metal; 11-16-2007, 04:29 PM.

Comment

EMGs rock! I prefer the 85 in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X