Well, I think the EMGs are history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I think the EMGs are history.

I have EMGs in my KV1, and I was hoping they would sound great, but they sound tinny, and metallic. FUCKING HORRIBLE.

I think I'm gonna go with a Duncan Custom in the bridge, and 59 in the neck.

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Bro...

Bro,

Since the wiring is already there..throw a SD Black-Out in the bridge. You will be floored how thick and crunchy...

I gaaaaruuuunteeee

Comment

Do they have the same connectors as the EMGs?

Comment

Yeah, I'm getting tired of EMGs 85/81 in my guitar too....and I have it at 18v atm. Low string sound nice for palm muting, but other than that it's not what I'm looking for...high strings are too thin sounding, like you said. J90c in my other guitar sounds much better!

Comment

Do you guys have it with the 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck?

If you haven't already done so, try switching them around, as per Toejams suggestions.

I find the 85 in the bridge to sound better, and the 81 in the neck to be really good too.

They do have more or less one sound, which I like, but then that's why I have a BOSS GT8 that will modify the tone close to what I want.

Comment

I have EMG85 in the bridge position....high strings still sound thin. J90c is much "meatier" sounding, at that's at lower gain setting!

Comment

How close to the string do you have the pickup? I find that it's a little better when it's real close (about 1mm on the high E, a bit more on the low E).
              The body on my AT Pro is mahogany, which might make a difference too.

The guitar I have coming soon (hopefully, real soon!) an SL1, has a Blackout in it, so I'll find out if it's any good.

Comment

Originally posted by 37fiat View Post
                How close to the string do you have the pickup?
                5mm . I'll try to raise it tomorrow then.

Comment

1mm?!?!? Jesus chrust that's close. I'll try moving them up a little and see what happens.

Oh, I also forget which one has the gold logo?

Comment

I just raised them. They still sound like fried assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      1mm?!?!? Jesus chrust that's close. I'll try moving them up a little and see what happens.

The gold logo is the 85, silver logo is the 81. I also prefer the 85 in the bridge with the 81 in the neck. You can always swap them around easily with the quick-connect cable and see which way sounds better.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                        gold = 85
                        silver = 81
                        red = 89
                        blue = 60

Comment

"Fried assholes", now that's a new one!!! I'll have to remember that!

Forgot to mention I'm not using the tone control at all, in fact don't have one. Only the volume in the place of the tone control.

I don't know if that and the mahogany, or the fact that one ear's lost a bit of hearing has something to do with why I still like the sound of the EMG's. I do like the sound of the 81 in the neck particularly.

Comment

Well, I had told Freddy to install the 85 in the bridge position. I just checked, and he did. I don't get it, they really sound bad. There must be something wrong. There is no way Zakk Wylde, Slayer, Metallica, and others use these things like this. Something is definitely wrong.

Comment

They still sound like fried assholes.
                              How does a pickup sound like fried Bologna? Bologna=assholes

Comment

Working...
                              X