Strange Vibrato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Vibrato

I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how Alexi does this really strange vibrato sound which can be found on Children Of Bodom - Kissing The Shadows at around 3:28.

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Strange Vibrato

you hit the floyd rose while playing.. I just kind of punch it, but not too hard so that it breaks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought of that myself, but it makes a big dive before the sound itself. :/

Maybe I just have to get the hang of it.

Comment

you can also try hitting the whammy bar itself.. it sounds like he's doing slight dives and then hitting the bar or bridge.

Comment

Ohhhh, you meant hitting the bridge itself!! Yeah, that might be it. I had only tried to hit the whammy bar.

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Saw the topic and though this was a thread about Steve Morse.

Carry on.
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

That's like the old Brad Gillis warble (Night Ranger, or Ozzy's Speak of the Devil album). Keep the bar nice and tight while playing, flick the bar with the end of your fingertips for the cool warble effect.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You can also hit it right behind the bridge, or be really showy and knee it like Steve Vai did on Crossroads.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                  That's like the old Brad Gillis warble (Night Ranger, or Ozzy's Speak of the Devil album). Keep the bar nice and tight while playing, flick the bar with the end of your fingertips for the cool warble effect.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thats it bro... The key is to have a tight bar. Use teflon tape if your bar isn't tight enough.

Comment

I tried to do this yesterday. I couldn't really do it like that with the bar, but I could do it by hitting the guitar's body with my right hand while I did a pull-off or hammer-on with my left one. I guess it's pretty much the same thing Steve Vai did with his knee then. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

About the tight bar thing. What do you actually mean by tight?

Comment

The bar can't be wobblin' around inside the part that you screw it into, and that can't be shaking around on the baseplate either. It's gotta be tightened down like a fine tuned machine, not loose and shaky.

Comment

Do you mean the 'flutter' type vibrato? On one of my mutts the bridge does it so bad (with or without the bar) that if I pick a string hard it does that effect. It must be in the springs I have on that one.

Comment

Flutter or warbble occurs easiest if you have a minimum amount of springs and a tight bar. If it is a thread in bar then put a wrap of teflon tape on the threads and screw it in. If it is a pop in bar and it is loose than replace the little plastic c-clip spacers. If it is a screw on bar then wrap the threads on the bridge itself with teflon tape and screw the bar on. If you use 8 gauge try 2 springs in a v formation from out to center facing the bridge.
                          9's use 3 springs in a v with the 3rd inner spring in the middle going straight across. Light 10's should also work with 3 springs. Make sure your bridge is perfectly level and parralel with the body of the guitar and that it is fully floating. I use my pinky when playing. I just tap on the bar and it flutters like crazy. Ibanez trems flutter really well even if they aren't adjusted correctly. Kahlers are the hardest. Floyds have to be set up perfectly. The best is a pinch harmonic squeal flutter or the infamous Lynch double stop bend with the decending harmonic that will flutter like crazy when you tap the bar. Brad Gillis is probably the father of flutter. So is that TNT guy (I forgot his name. I think it is Rob something??)

[ October 10, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: jgcable ]

Comment

Ronnie Le Tekro...

Comment

Thanks, I'll try those tomorrow [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X