measure changes and metronome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• measure changes and metronome

ok this has been bugging me for a long time, but i thought i'd get this out of the way.

you know how most songs are in common time, 4/4 and you set the metronome to whatever bpm and play along. right. well there are some passages that have to break out of this 4/4 time into something like a 5/8, if for no other reason than to simply make sure the song doesn't skip a beat. like for instance...

solo passage from metallica's master of puppets:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> ---t--- ---t--- ---t--- ---t---
    --17p12----------12-17p12----------12-
    --------13-12-13----------13-12-13----
    --------------------------------------
    e e e e e e e e e e e e

---t---
    -17p12--------12-12-15p12--------------
    -------13--12-------------13-----------
    ---------------------------------------
    e e e s s s s s s</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the first passage is in 4/4, and it works out just fine. four clicks, each click worth 1/4 time, during which three notes sound. they are all eight notes btw. the second passage however is 5/8, which makes sense because if you left it at 4/4, you would only be able to get 2.5 clicks off before the end of the passage, and that would kinda break the flow. converting it to 5/8 makes perfect sense, the first two ticks span the eighth triplet, and the remaining three ticks fit over the sixteenth notes that follow.

however my only problem is with the performance of the above passage using a standard issue metronome. how do i go about doing that. i can see if i had a metronome that i could program to go faster for that particular passage, but short of that i'm stumped.

i hope i haven't made a mess of things above.

ola!

Re: measure changes and metronome

I don't know how you can get around that with a standard metronome. It happens in plenty of songs too. Check out Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop. That thing has a different time sig for every other measure!

Only thing I can think of, is to get the tab in GuitarPro, or a similar tab program, turn on the metronome and mute the guitar tracks. That way the metronome built into the program should follow the measures and any changes in time signature
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Re: measure changes and metronome

yeah that's what i've been doing for a little while now. its just that i'm a computer science major and i'm trying hard to find excuses to not have to sit in front of the computer screen in my recreation time (guitar). powertab is friggin awesome, i would honestly pay up to BUT NO MORE than $49.99 for the software. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

do they make things like variable/programmable metronomes? isn't that entering drum machine territory pretty much. maybe its time to take the plunge and invest in a basic drum machine?

Comment

Working...
      X