Imitating Lynch makes me sweat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imitating Lynch makes me sweat.

I've found his playing style to be close to the edge.

What I mean is I find that so much of his tone/style depends on very CLEAN playing, if you aren't right on top of it, it can go south fast.

Take a look at something like "Tooth and Nail" or "Don't close your eyes"

There is some wicked technique going on that is so dependant on clean, accurate playing. They can become very messy quite easily in the hands of a lynch worshiper. (like me)

When I'm on my game, I can come with 100 miles of his chops. When I'm off, it can turn very messy.. real fast.

I guess it all boils down to chops, chops, chops.. no matter how creative you are, technique is key to a shred style...

Re: Imitating Lynch makes me sweat.

My playing has always been compared to his. We came about at exactly the same time so I can't say that he influenced me that much. Your right.. Chops chops chops. He has them. He does it all and with a unique style. Especially his vertical vibrato.

Comment

since i havent really heard much Lynch at all can you explain what the Vertical Vibrato is?
      Cheers

Comment

It's this rad technique where instead of pulling the string up and down to make vibrato as most people do, you slide your finger back and forth in the span of a few frets (depending on how crazy you want it to be), like a violinist would do. It can also be done within the fret to be more subtle.

Comment

Cool stuff, you'd need pretty good calluses on your fingers for that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Cheers

Comment

Hi, the technique as George refers to in his Guitar Bible video is the "JERK OFF" and he casually states "practice your jerking off" Kammo1 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

your talk about brutally clean playing brings one name to my mind: paul gilbert. PG is sick.

Comment

Randy was very clean too listen to crazy train or mr crowley.
                I've been working on George Lynch/Dokken "Alone again"And you are right you have to be dead on your game for it to sound close.George is so precise with timeing, pickup changing,string attack as well as dropping octaves during solos.He is a real pleasure to watch play.
                The one tune I wish I could get down is Bark at the moon the way Jake played it.I like the way Zakk does it too.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

just thicken your vibrato and never play fusion(have you heard him play it or seen him on that vid?) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

only liked his 1st two lynchmob albums,but they were amazing

the jack off vibrato
                  http://www.theguitarists.galaxyhit.c...nch_voodoo.asf

is cool on Very old strats that go out of tune [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

if you want to learn to sound and play like him,check this dude out

http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/kaizen/

a good friend of mine from Atlanta,who has his vibrato/dynamics but has LOTS more chops(and can play fusion) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

one thing i have always admired and respected of lynch is he is so friendly and down to earth..not big headed,he knows what he does best and does it very well

Comment

His entire approach to lead playing is unique. From scales to vibrato to bending to harmonics, he has a style that is totally unique and his instructional video's really unlock most of the mysteries pending you are advanced enough to take advantage of them.

Comment

GL has always been my favorite axe slinger. His style is so unique and different from everyone elses at a time when there were sooo many clones out there. I picked up his GEH video class and I was truly amazed to watch him play with a dedicated camera on him. WOW!!! I learned lots of his early stuff. the Leads to Alone again, Breaking the chains, and Into the Fire. if you want a bit of a technical challenge, try the ascending riff on the end on the Into the Fire solo. THats a feat in itself. The solo to Tooth and Nail is completely insane and I never even tried it. I think his signature lead is from In My Dreams, I have played that hundreds of times over the last 15 years and its never once sounded quite like George!!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] In fact, I can never make is sound exactly the same twice! To many unique dynamics and tricks happening for a player of my level. GL is certainly one of Rock/Metal's most talented guitarists IMO. He has a style and class that is all his own. Another quality he has is he never seems to stop learning and branching out in different areas. Check out his solo CD called "Sacred Groove" he dabbles in different styles very effectively as a soloist. Its like he is always hungry for more and doesnt rest on his past acheivements. I know I sound like his PR guy, but I am just a great fan. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                      X