Lynch Delay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynch Delay?

I'm not sure if I should be posting this in the effects section so my appologies in advance.

I know it's an effect, but setting it up is part of "technique", would'nt you think?!?

I've been trying for years to reproduce the delay common to Lynch's style.

In particular, the opening chord progession for the song "In my Dreams" I love that song mostly because of that progression, it's repeated right after the solo as well with some wicked delay that really works well with it.

I've tried many different effects/delay boxes and I've never been happy with the result.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Re: Lynch Delay?

This is what you need
    An Soldano SLO type tone
    20% large hall reverb
    300ms delay constant, switchable 350ms delay for certain passages.
    Chops
    The key to Lynch is vibrato and double stop bends. String skipping, inversions, arpeggios,modes, speed picking, hammer-ons and pull offs and extensive use of your pinky (even for vibrato techniques) are all a must.

Comment

I think I've got a reasonable approximation of the tone. ( at least as much as I can with amp modeling) It's still frustrating trying to nail this particular bit.

Technique wise, on these chords I've got it down (They're not hard at all, so it's no great feat of mine)

It's this delay, it sounds in-between an analogue slap-back and very loose doubling.

Hmm.. perhaps thats what they did, doubled and seperated the guitar on that particular section.

Thanks for the starting point.

Comment

I know exactly the sound your talking about and I've chased it for years. I recently bought a j-station (yeah, I know) and it has a tap delay button. By tapping it to the tempo you're playing it kinda syncs the delay with your playing speed. By setting it and tweaking the delay settings I've been able to get a close proximity. I'm sure most of you guys have used this "tap" thing but it was new to me and I really like it.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

hmmm...all of this discussion over an obviously double-tracked rhythm in the studio... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

It was double tracked when recorded but I thought he was trying to simulate the sound with effects. Maybe I misunderstood.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart:
              hmmm...all of this discussion over an obviously double-tracked rhythm in the studio... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, I'm just an ex-cover band putz.. wadda I know 'bout them fancy studio gimmicks?!? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...fact of the matter is...i've seen him play ha song times in concert, and his tone never sounded like that [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...as far as his delay settings?...he likes a lot live... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Last time I saw him live it was a mini tour with Jon West doing vocals (maybe 5-6 yrs ago??)
                  He was still was using the Chandler SDE (Stereo digital echo), and for amps at the time he was using the Boogie Rackmount Dual Recto (black face plate)
                  Even in old interviews, you hear him talk about how he likes the old tape echo sounds? That Chandler is what he is using to emulate the sounds, since they are less maintenance. I had one - they are great but NOISY. They are availabe on eBay for $375.. but they are not all that flexible
                  One other person that gets that lead tone is the guitarist from Balance of Power - you may be able to drop them an e-mail to see what he is using...

Comment

Working...
                  X