Where to find narrow-shaft pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find narrow-shaft pots

I have CTS pots that have a 3/8 inch shaft, which I got from Warmoth, but they are too wide for the holes in a couple of my guitars, and I don’t want to widen the holes.

I’m trying to find 500K or 1 Meg pots, ideally CTS or similar high quality, that fit in these narrow holes. I think they measure 9/32 inch (~7mm) at the widest point.

These are the ones I have:
    http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/part...potentiometers

Would any of these fit?:
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/e...al_ctspots.htm

The only ones I can come up with are these mini ones from Stew Mac, but I don’t think they’re as good as CTS:
    http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel...talog/sku.html

"Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Carvin's are pretty small - you might want to check em out.

Comment

That's a tough one. You must have the Asian made pots with the small diameter thread. How come you don't want to widen the holes? You can do it cleanly, without the finish chipping by using a Dremel with the small sanding drum attachment and a fine sanding drum. The O.D. is 3/8", Just protect the top of the guitar with some masking tape and or cardboard in case the Dremel wants to get away. Drop the Dremel through the hole. It will sand a clean 3/8" hole without lifting or peeling/chipping the finish. Then, you can use any high quality pot like CTS or the new RS Superpots! Just and option for you.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Just use a dremel or a reamer thats the easy way you can get a reamer at any hardware store.Just go from the back side when using any tool to make the hole larger so not to chip any paint.
        Its really a simple procedure I do it to all guitars if I have to change the pots.
        And yes I'm an RSguitarworks pot upgrade kit user as well as Bengal65
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

One of guitars is a san dimas era King V which I'm trying to return to stock electronics. It had an EMG bridge and 25K pots which were wedged in the holes. I'm keeping the stock Jackson J-50 neck and found a similar era J-90 for the bridge, and need some passive pots to complete it.
          I don't really want to widen them unless there is no other option. Partly, because I don't want to devalue the guitar...especially by accidently ramming a powertool thru the control cavity!
          The other bodies are mostly MIJ ones which I don't mind experimenting on.

BTW, does anybody know what manufacturer of pots did san dimas Jacksons originally come with?
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
          X