speed/articulation when tuned to D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed/articulation when tuned to D

Hey...I learned this Testament song, Burnt Offerings, in E, A 440 regular tuning...and then when I tuned down to D, the actual tuning of the song, and tried to play it, I got a little sloppy on the low E and A strings...or...D and G strings. The rhythm with the 16th notes, and even the scale progression they have screw me up when it's all sloppy and flubby. It's 2:10am here in Maryland...maybe if I play it through an amp, it won't sound so bad...but do you have any suggestions for what to do about string tension when you down tune...I have 11s on my guitar...and plus, should you "re-intonate" when you downtune, since I have a lot of buzz...

Cheers,
    Nick

Re: speed/articulation when tuned to D

When you tune your guitar down, keep these things in mind:

1. Adjust your trussrod: this is essential as the tension from the strings is reduced. The neck will BACKBOW, thus causing fretbuzz all over the place [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

2. Reintonate: Just do it! Now if I remembered anything from those intonation articles I've read, I'd most ceratinly present som theory about this subject [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

3: Raise your action: not much though, just enough to keep the strings from buzzing!

Thank you and goodnight

Comment

Yeah, but I don't want to reintonate, if I'm just tuning down to D to play a song...I might adjust the truss rod, but I mainly play in standard tuning, so going through a whole reintonation for D, and then again back to E, is too much effort. If I had a main guitar for a lower tuning, sure, I'd set it up, but just tuning down occassionally to play, isn't worth it when I'll be back in E soon. I'm wondering if I'll be able to adjust the truss rod anyway...backbow...meaning, from a sitting position, the neck arches outward, like a lens, away from you, like if you arch your back out. I don't know, I'll just have to play, I know, turning counter-clockwise, my truss rod can't go any futher, it's loose...and I think clockwise gives the neck backbow, so...hmm. Anyway, thanks, I'll keep those tips in mind if I really need to set up my guitar in D.

Cheers,
      Nick

[ August 09, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Misanthrope189 ]

Comment

You should get a different guitar for alternate (other than standard E) tunings then, and intonate it properly, because that is most of the problem with the buzzing.
        Also, your attack/technique is based on the tension of E, not D, so you are picking and fretting harder than you need to be.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Try a heavier e string. If you currently string with 9's maybe use the e string from a set of 10's...or try picking closer to the bridge if you can.

Comment

Working...
          X