To all you shredders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all you shredders...

You know...I was working on some licks out of that book, Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar...in the building speed section, where he plays a 16th note lick at 80bpm, and then 120bpm, and then 160bpm. I've been playing for 3 years, I'm 17, and basically I could sometimes, and sometimes not, keep up with him on the 120bpm licks; it really depended on how tricky the lick was. So, you know, on the CD he goes slow, goes faster, like a cruise, and then just rips it up. It started me thinking about how much I actually suck in reality [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] , and that even if I can play a lot of fun riffs and jam and have a kick ass time, I really have a looong way to go.

I know a lot of you guys here have a lot of talent and musicianship, and I wanted to congratulate you.

Cheers,
    Nick

Re: To all you shredders...

Wow, you guys moderate like hawks...hahaha, I posted this in the General forum...and like 5 minutes later I see it here in Technique...*feels watched* hahaha! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Nick

Comment

Hey Misanthrope:

Getting technically proficient on guitar is a never-ending pursuit....it takes time to build up BOTH hands and synchronize them together.

I love SM.....use it religiously.........just keep on working with it, gradually increase your speed.....and before you know it you'll be cruising.

Don't get discouraged if "Joe Blow" is better than me, that's not where it is at. Play because you love the instrument and play for fun.

That is my $0.02 for ya.

Have fun and keep working.

Comment

Just keep practicing. You really are better than you think, you are your harshest judge, which is a good thing.
        Cheers

Comment

Keep up the studies. The speed you are looking for will come in time. Also, it will mainly come from your picking hand.

Comment

Keep working man! Beleive me! I've spent a whole year trying to build up speed...I would practice with a metronome EVERYDAY for about an 1-2 hours, and i went from 8th notes 100 BPM, to double triplets at 140 BPM! I'm a 15 year old kid, too! I'm not saying im a Paul Gilbert by any means, i just think thats good for someone my age. Keep at it man! But, keep this in mind aswell, you should practice your chops too. You would get no where if you were to just speed and not that. Good luck man! Practice! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah dude, keep it up! You're only 17. You have lots of time. I HIGHLY recommend getting into some Al Dimeola if you really want a good picking technique. Check out Steve Morse, John McLaughlin, and one of my favorites...Shawn Lane. You will probably be discouraged at times but these are people that have spent YEARS practicing. If I can be of further help don't hesitate to email me.....I can help you....

Comment

Along with the others, here are some more people to check out:

John Petrucci has a book/CD Wild Stringdom and also a matching (well, sorta) DVD set out that has some great exercises in it for picking....he is pretty impressive to watch, especially when he is getting near the 200BPM mark on the metronome.

Al Dimeola is an incredibly fast dude.....

Steve Morse and any Dixie Dregs will give you something to cut your teeth on also. He is way underrated as a player...he rips...

The whole thing is patience dude.....

Comment

Steve Morse, underrated??

Dude's been Guitar Player's MVP 5 times and was inducted into the GP Hall of Fame. He's obviously not rated as highly these days as true masters of the instrument like Kirk Hammett, Munky & Head and that dude from Staind, but he's been on more than a couple magazine covers & written columns for most of the majors. And Ernie Ball aren't like SOME manufacturers that hand out signature models to anyone topping the charts, so the fact that he has one shows the high regard in which he is held. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Gary: I didn't mean that he wasn't highly rated in the guitarist realm......but seriously...outside our narrow market of "guitar slingers" lets face it, the Dixie Dregs aren't exactly a household name.

As far as getting an endorsement, a lot of guitarists get them, many of them who are relatively unknown.....

I meant no disrespect to him, he is a phenominal player...just he will never really get the credit or recognition he deserves on a grand scale due to his chosen choice of music.

Comment

I know. It's unfortunate, but true. And the guitarist in the flavour-of-the-month band gets touted on all the guitar message boards as the greatest thing to ever pick up the instrument.

re: Ernie Ball guitars. Steve isn't just a mere endorsee, he has a signature model. Ernie Ball hasn't been handing them out to just anyone. Check their list, he's in pretty select company.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Uhhh Hello!!!??? Steve Morse is the current touring guitar player for Deep Purple is he not? And THEY are certainly a household name. Hell, my MOM even knows who Deep Purple is.........

Comment

I get discouraged that I can't play fast leads as well, so you're not alone. But before you get too down on yourself and start the old "I suck at guitar because I can't play fast and I'll never amount to anything" routine, I have two words for you:

Eric Clapton.

- E.
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Haha, yeah, there are a lot of players who don't play scorching leads, but are very well known...and I wasn't really getting down on myself and kicking my self-esteem into the mud, just saying that I know I have a ways to go, and was saying good job to you guys who have the skills.

Cheers,
                            Nick

Comment

I have SM, and i'll admit i don't practice it as much as i should. but i have another question for you guys. i noticed a few of you guys saying how you should jam to tracks on discs you own, which is basically what i do all the time. i was wondering, do you think its more important to get speed through metronome, stetina style exercises, or to incorporate exercising with improvising over your favorte megadeth solo section?

personally i feel i've done too much improvising to the point where i fall back on old old tricks and i need to learn more creative ideas. what do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                              X