I need help with playing by ear!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with playing by ear!!!

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] Is there a way to "teach" my ear to actually hear what the hell is being played?? I can hear the differance in tunnings and I can hear the notes,but I can't tell a E5 from an F5 on a ctual song off a cd and spend to much time searching for the chords! I've been playing since '91, and everything I've ever learned has been by tab or taught to me.I KNOW this is a reason that I'm still a bedroom player,cause I can't learn the songs very quickly without help!! PLEASE somebody help me and say there is a way! Do you think it would be worth it to buy that $100+ perfect pitch course they always have in the guitar mags?? ANY advice will seriously be GREATLY appreciated!!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

Re: I need help with playing by ear!!!

don't get the perfect pitch course...you will hear EVERYTHING that is even a LITTLE out of tune, and it will drive you nuts!

The ability you need to learn, as I am STILL learning even after playing for years, is relative pitch.

Basically, if you hear musical pitches, you can hear the interval between them. Then once you find a referance note(which is not too hard with rock/metal tunes), you can just apply those intervals to what you are playing.

How is your theory knowldge?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalChef:
      don't get the perfect pitch course...you will hear EVERYTHING that is even a LITTLE out of tune, and it will drive you nuts!
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seriously, does that perfect pitch course really work? Have you tried it?

Comment

I think you are looking for relative pitch. In my experience as a player and a teacher either you have it or you don't. Just keep practicing. Practice doesn't always make perfect but you can get pretty darn close. Lots of players are just like you. Actually most of them are.

Comment

You guys are right about relative pitch being the thing. I'm blessed with good relative pitch. You can play me a note, then tell me what that note is, and I can then identify all of the notes around it. Play it and don't tell me what it is, then I won't have a clue.

Dan,

What usually helps me the most is to find either the highest or lowest note of a chord that is being played. Once you know this, then try major, minor, augmented, etc... That'll usually get you there.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

My theory level is about intermediate stage.It's mostly book knowledge and a few college courses.What I find puzzling is I can Hear the differance in tunnings,even E to Eb and I can hear the chords but not the notes.It's like having a song in your head,but that's as far as it gets because you can't translate it to your guitar!You know what you want to do but don't know how to do it!I can hear what they're doing and where they are going,yet I still have to hunt and peck forever and end up nowhere?
            Confused?? So am I!!!!

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have decent relative pitch. The more I learn theory, the better I'm able to apply it to my playing. Back to that Perfect Pitch course, does it really work? If so, then I can see MetalChef's point that it would drive you nuts hearing every imperfection.
              I haven't heard anyone discuss that course, but it must at least be a good seller, otherwise the guy wouldn't be shelling out the bucks for 2 page spreads in almost every magazine. Sort of like 'Reading is Fundamental' which if it works, I think should be taught to every schoolkid.

Ted -- TC Rocker USA

Comment

Maybe this will help :

http://www.good-ear.com/

Comment

Shakeel, thanks for that! I'll deffinatley (sp?) spend time there.I tried their Beginner-Simple Intervals test and got 40 out of 50 right!SO, does this mean I'm just not practicing enough or maybe I'm just not "listening" to what I'm playing!

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

Comment

RIGHT ON dan ~~!!

i have another link for ya but i dont know the link right now [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I'll dig it up for ya later alright?

Comment

Relative pitch is the key to improvising guitar solos or harmonys. The better your relative pitch is the easier it is to play by ear. Perfect pitch is awesome to have but not absolutely needed to be a smoking guitarist. Its great if you are a singer though.

Comment

I HAVE the perfect pitch course that you see in the magazines and I recommend it HIGHLY!!! I have NOT made it through all the cd's but what this guy does is absolutely amazing!! I recommend you all try it as soon as possible. I also have his other course that's like 20 cd's or something and that one is really good too. You don't just listen to the cd's it's WAY more than that, you have to sit with your instrument. But I PROMISE, you will NOT be disappointed! Contact me for further if interested!

Comment

Hmmm, so that course really works. Maybe I should order it just to give it a try

Comment

I'm going to get it! I think by getting the perfect pitch cd's it will help develope my relative pitch more.I figure if it works it will save me money from buying all these guitar mags and transcription books!!

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

P.S- thanks to all of those who responded!!I know it's been said before,but d@mnit this is the best forum with the best people on the net!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[ July 16, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: dan ]

Comment

i really dont know a damn about theory and i can play perfect im also in a band

Comment

Working...
                              X