tight guitar jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tight guitar jack?

I'm sure there's already a thread. I've done the search a couple of different ways, found nothing, yet I predict someone will post the existing thread in response.

Anyway, I just got a new Jackson SL1. This is my second one in two years. Just like on my first one, the cable jack is way tight. Like I have to use brute force to get the cable in there. On my first guitar this got better over time. I'm using Whirlwind cables. What I'm wondering is, is this normal? Is it the cable and not the jack? Am I damaging anything by forcing the cable in? Am I going to regret forcing it in one day in the future when I start using a different cable?

Have a look inside the output jack to see if something's jammed in there. Sounds stupid, but the only alternative is that the output jack has been dented/squished causing the shaft to be uneven.
    Last edited by wilkinsi; 11-04-2007, 01:58 PM.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Try loosening the nut on the jack and rotating the jack body some, then plug in the plug. (you may have to remove the jack plate). One of the jack contacts is hitting the I.D. of the jack hole. The jack plate is not always centered over the jack hole in the body, thus the jack contact can "bind" on the hole wall. In some cases, I have had to open up the hole in the body with a Dremel, with drum sanding attachment.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

yeah it could have gotten bent when they installed it. I typically plug in a jack before installing it to see how tight of a fit it is...if too tight or too loose I just use som brute force and bend the metal that hits the tip of the jack
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

You could also have a smashed guitar cable plug. Make sure it's perfectly round. If the cable plug is round, and the input jack isn't smashed against the guitar body, just take a screwdriver and bend the arm on the input jack that goes to the guitar plug tip out.

Comment

Working...
          X