Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever have their inlays changed successfully?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever have their inlays changed successfully?

I have a Carvin with dots that I to this day regret not ordering it with blocks. Anybody ever take their guitar somewhere to have inlays redone? Was it expensive?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

I have no idea, but I was thinking the same for my RR3 (MOP sharkie inlays). MOTO has no depth, it is just plain looking.

If the cost is not too bad, I will go for it. I have 'upgraded' it with a FR Pro, SD JB(b) in zebra, SD Jazz(n) in reverse zebra and chrome pickup rings. I figure I will probably always keep it, so why not.

I like chrome...

Comment

Consider that usually when doing something like that, all the frets will need to be pulled and the board releveled. Im sure it can be done without pulling the frets, but its alot harder and I wouldnt think the outcome would be quite as good.`
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

yes, it can be done. I think I read on the Ultimate guitars forum that someone got it done. there used to be a couple of guys who do it on eBay. I cant find them now though. but its a risk. Why not ask Carvin if they can do it?
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by DrDoug View Post
          I have no idea, but I was thinking the same for my RR3 (MOP sharkie inlays).
          if the fretboard doesnt need re-work, yours should be easier than the thread-starter's. have you talked to your local luthiers? I'm no luthier but I think its as simple as applying heat to the old inlays, taking them out and replacing the new ones in place with glue.
          Sam

Comment

Thanks emperor_black! I live in a small coastal community, no local luthiers anywhere around here (or anywhere near). My fretboard and frets are in excellent shape,no problem there. If it was just heat the glue, pop the old inlays, clean out the routs and then glue in the new inlays, I could do that myself. I have a shop with plenty of equipment (and a heat gun!) to work in, and I have always done all of my own work. Just never have messed with the inlays.

Does you (or anyone else) know if the MOP sharkies are the same thickness as the MOTO ones? Or would I have to sand to fit, then finish sand and polish the MOP inserts after installing them?

Thanks for any help! I know some think doing this to an RR3 is a waste of time, but I like 'improving' things that I have. It makes the item 'mine', so to say...lol!

Edit: I did some digging around, and it seems that inlay material averages about 1/16 inch in thickness. There is a seller on ebay who sells lots of MOP, and they are out of Australia. The material is fairly cheap, and I have no qualms about shaping my own inlays,so I am going to order some material and pre-cut the inlays before proceeding. If they look good, I will dive in and do it.

MOP just looks nice, and on a Jackson that is the way it should be.
            Last edited by DrDoug; 11-04-2007, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Small world, I'm from Brookings as well. (Sorry I don't have anything to add to the topic.)

Comment

I've also been looking into this in the past, but...

Originally posted by DrDoug View Post
                Does you (or anyone else) know if the MOP sharkies are the same thickness as the MOTO ones? Or would I have to sand to fit, then finish sand and polish the MOP inserts after installing them?
                If you want the inlays to follow the fretboard radius, you'll have to sand (and buff) them. I think this is difficult to do well, especially since I figure that MOP and abalone are fragile materials. Those online luthiers that do re-inlaying charge an arm and a leg for it, because they pull all the frets, so the cost for refretting adds to it. Those (very few) people who do it without pulling the frets, charge even more. For your RR-3, it would be easier and cheaper getting a neck off a Charvel 475DLX (22-fretter with binding and MOP sharkies).

Originally posted by DrDoug
                MOP just looks nice, and on a Jackson that is the way it should be.
                Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                  For your RR-3, it would be easier and cheaper getting a neck off a Charvel 475DLX (22-fretter with binding and MOP sharkies).
                  Yes, although you'll have the (ghey?) toothpaste Charvel logo to deal with. Here's a cheap one on Craigslist:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...ewpost&t=76084
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Why not sell the Carvin you have and order one with the inlays you want. It'll probably cost you less that way.

Comment

Kii, you live in Brookings too? Go figure! A little town of six thousand and two people are on here...lol! My wife works up in the apparel department at Fred Meyer, and we live over on Cypress Street. You might have seen our car around town as it is the only white T-topped Mustang II around for miles.

That is pretty cool!

Thanks Sunbane and Ron, but I will pass on that as I want my Jackson to say Jackson! I have looked into MOP and decided to give it a shot as I have everything I need to do the job (with the frets on), but it is going to be a lot of work (but worth it). Should be a nice winter project though. I am looking for the MOP now, and a way to try to get the best pieces I can to work with.

I am patient, and like meticulous, detailed work, so this is right up my alley. I will cut all of the pieces first, and will post pics as I go through it. It ought to be interesting to do, and I am looking forward to trying something new. I have done just about everything else to a guitar, what the hey...lol! Cutting it is going to be painstaking to get right, but I have plenty of tools to work with for delicate material like MOP.

That MOTO has no depth, and my RR3 looks different enough that a set of MOP inlays would be the icing on the cake.

Comment

.... careful with that MOP, the dust cuttings can kill you.
                        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Yup, silicosis is nothing to take lightly. That crap will shred your lungs. Thanks for the warning though! I have filter masks, a dual cartridge respirator and a fresh air respirator (I like to paint, and the isocyanates in 2K paints require the fresh air unit), so I am pretty well covered at this end.

I love to tinker, and being an old mechanic I have just about everything I need to do damage to whatever I want to try...lol!

Comment

Damn, and i just love sniffing powdered MOP looks like i'll have to cut down a bit

That MOTO has no depth, and my RR3 looks different enough that a set of MOP inlays would be the icing on the cake.
                            .... especially if you add bindings in the same processs
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

That would be cool, but I know when I should not bite off more than I can chew...lol! I am also seriously considering a repaint in the spring, black w/white bevels. I love that contrast/look. Plus it would allow me to fill the Floyd rout to fit the FR Pro exactly. This is a keeper, and I want a unique guitar that is all mine yet it is not a pos that someone recklessly modded. I would never dream of doing this to a USA Jackson, but I have no problem with the Japanese models.

If I screw up, I only have myself to kick. But I am one of those 'look first, then leap' types, I don't recklessly tear into stuff without researching it thoroughly.

Comment

Working...
                              X