Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locking tuner replacement for Schaller M6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking tuner replacement for Schaller M6?

Does anyone know of a "drop in" (no mods) locking tuner replacement for Schaller M6s?

I know Schaller makes a nice locking tuner, too, but - judging from the specs available on the web - the dimensions seem different from the non-locking M6. Not to mention it would appear to leave an empty screw hole at the 45 degree position. (...Oddly, I've seen Schaller locking tuners both with and without that screw tab. I'm guessing "without" is the more current version?)

Thanks.

Pat, I'm pretty sure the Planet Waves Auto-Trim locking tuners are a direct replacement.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ine?sku=361450

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64505

Comment

Thanks dg. Didn't realize they were made by D'addario.

Unfortunately, I cannot stand their appearance. IMHO, the combination of black roller & posts with everything else on the tuner being chrome or gold looks horrid. Poor & cheesy appearance for an otherwise cool product.

Comment

I believe all three colors have black posts with the body and key being either black, chrome or gold. So the black ones are all black.
        |My CSG gallery|
        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Yeah, but I need chrome or gold.

Comment

Pat, at Warmoth the "Schaller Mini Locking Tuners" are described as M6 on the detail page, and they look like they have the right 45 degree tabs:

http://www.warmoth.com/catalog/index...sort=2a&page=2

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              Pat, at Warmoth the "Schaller Mini Locking Tuners" are described as M6 on the detail page, and they look like they have the right 45 degree tabs:

I've bought these and they're drop in replacements for the Jackson tuners with the 45 degree tab, at least for the Model series...the only difference is the stem is a little shorter than the stocks. I can't comment on the current Schallers, but they do NOT drop in the older schallers with the 3:00 tab.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post

Yeah, but look at the specs on the StewMac site. No screw tab at all..

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...s.html#details

Yet the Warmoth spec sheet for the same tuners shows a tab...

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/tune...shaller_m6.pdf

Not sure which is correct?

Comment

The issue with the tab came up in this forum awhile back. Apparently Warmoth has the one with the tabs and StewMac does not. There must be two versions, one with and one without. I just go with Sperzels lately since they are the best out there as I have all of them; Schaller, Gotoh Magnum's, Planet Waves and Grover. Dan Erlewine has a neat article on how you can plug the screw holes and almost make them invisible. You use a plug with the same wood as the headstock. The plug is inserted with the same grain direction as the headstock (for natural finishes) and cut off with a razor blade. If the headstock is finished a couple of drops of matching finish and let cure, then sand and buff. Just another option to think about.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Well, I've got a set coming from Warmoth. We'll see if they fit correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      Well, I've got a set coming from Warmoth. We'll see if they fit correctly.
                      They should
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                        Apparently Warmoth has the one with the tabs and StewMac does not. There must be two versions, one with and one without.
                        Interestingly, I was just tooling around Schaller's website, which has info confirming this. They make the locking tuner in two versions - one with the screw tab, one without it. Hopefully I'm getting the one with it.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                          Thanks dg. Didn't realize they were made by D'addario.

Unfortunately, I cannot stand their appearance. IMHO, the combination of black roller & posts with everything else on the tuner being chrome or gold looks horrid. Poor & cheesy appearance for an otherwise cool product.
                          I like how they look, it's something different. I have em in both chrome and gold.

and once you use them, they make re-stringing so easy and hassle-free (especially if you have to re-string at a break of a gig) you'll never want anything else.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Thread resurrection! Got the locking Schallers in from Warmoth. They do have the 45 degree screw tab, and they're dead-set exact replacements for the non-locking M6s. The post height is a little shorter, but there's still plenty enough clearance.

I am soooo stoked! Just dropped them into my Y2KV, and she now has locking tuners - no mods necessary. Sweeeeeet!

This forum is awesome for its knowledgable members. You guys rock!

Comment

Cool, glad they fit. I took a chance ordering these from Warmoth a couple years ago for a couple fixed bridge projects with Charvel Model series necks and was pleasantly surprised.

What's weird to me is I can't find any manufacture markings on em which tell me Schaller made them. I don't doubt they're made by em, but I figured I could find something! Geez, the non-locking Schallers I bought in the late 80s has the schaller logo and "Made in W. Germany" on the back of every tuner!
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X