Wiring gurus - does this seem right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring gurus - does this seem right?

Ok, so this is pretty much the most versatile setup you'll ever see for 2-hum while keeping the number of knobs&switches to a reasonable minimum.

What i'm trying to do is a normal volume/boost/tone + 3-way pickup switch, although the boost knob will be unused for now (i'll probably add an EMG PA-2 later) with some added functionality:

-- Volume and boost are push-pulls that select between series/parallel for each pickup.
    -- Tone is a push-pull that selects whether both pickups are in series or parallel with each other.
    -- A 3-pos (on/off/on) coil split for each pickup that selects north/both/south coils.
    -- A small phase switch that flips the neck pickup.

Of course, the series/parallel push-pulls only make sense when the coils aren't split (switches in middle pos) and same goes for the tone push-pull, useful only when using both pickups (switch in middle pos)

This is the draft so far....

"It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

*bump*
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

I think my head is about to explode. My number one guitar right now is a 1 vol/1 humbucker axe.
      I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Impressive design. A bit "over engineered" for my liking, but impressive nonetheless. Does the north/south coil tap thing really make enough of a difference to be worthwhile?

Comment

Does the north/south coil tap thing really make enough of a difference to be worthwhile?
          Of course! I use it all the time on my other rhoads, although that one doesn't have series/parallel -( One of the cool uses for it, is to form a "humbucker" with 2 coils one from each pickup. Adds a universe of new sound possibilities. Can't wait to hear what i can come up with using this new wiring.....

Using push-pulls is cool because you can add mega-functionality without compromising the simplicity of a "standard" wiring.

I think my head is about to explode. My number one guitar right now is a 1 vol/1 humbucker axe.
          I could live without a tone knob.. but no neck pickup?

Comment

Just had the tone push-pull and phase switch wired backwards. Here's try #2...

Comment

Well, i just put the guitar back together, and i am pleased to announce that this wiring is a success!! The tone flexibility is absolutely impressive. For example with the phase switch and coil splits i can use the inner coils of both pickups in series as a "middle humbucker", or the outer coils for a subtle, more mid-scooped humbucker tone, or just about a billion other kinds of sounds

An added "feature" is that if you try to coil-split a pickup while it's in parallel (which doesn't make sense anyway) it acts as a kill-switch for that pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                Well, i just put the guitar back together, and i am pleased to announce that this wiring is a success!! The tone flexibility is absolutely impressive. For example with the phase switch and coil splits i can use the inner coils of both pickups in series as a "middle humbucker", or the outer coils for a subtle, more mid-scooped humbucker tone, or just about a billion other kinds of sounds

An added "feature" is that if you try to coil-split a pickup while it's in parallel (which doesn't make sense anyway) it acts as a kill-switch for that pickup.
                Coool stuff. When I next have an axe I don't mind chopping up, I am going to steal your design!

Comment

hehe If you patent it and become a millionaire, at least send me a beer

Comment

Working...
                  X