AAAGH my HANDS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAGH my HANDS!!!

Yikes, ever since I've gone back to work my hands have been killing me when I do certain things on guitar...things that didn't hurt before...this happen to you guys? I probably need a way to massage the muscles in my hands or something, I dunno...

Re: AAAGH my HANDS!!!

I don't know if this will work for you, but it does for me. I relax my hands by filling up the sink with nice warm water (not too hot) and just put my hands in there for 10 minutes. It feels so soothing. Then, I go play guitar. Afterwards, I repeat the soaking. It's kind of therapeutic, but whether or not it truly has real therapeutic value is beyond my expertise.

Comment

"Ethan to the mens room for customer assistance"
      I think u need a new job [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

[edit] but seriously, whatcha can do is the warm water trick, or stretch slowly before reaching the problem points on the neck.

[ May 22, 2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Kamo ]

Comment

Customer assistance? I work construction, smartass.

Comment

OK - listen up. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You need to stretch and loosen-up yer hands BEFORE YOU USE THEM. That includes before you go to work and after lunch - as well as before you play.
          ===
          Soak 'em after you play, stretch 'em before. Just like an athlete.
          ===
          Wear good, comfortable gloves at work. Spend the extra coin. The wrist-braces they sell at pharmacies might prove a good investment as well.

Try to be aware of your 'hand-posture' when you are working. Chances are, one type of regular task is behind your discomfort. Pay close attention to anything that severely bends or impacts your wrists at weird angles.

Use gel pads for your mouse and keyboard. Switching to a trackball might help (it helped me).
          ===
          Between work, your computer, your guitar, and the thousand other things your hands do everyday - your hands are working overtime, all the time. Get into the habit of gently stretching your fingers and wrists in the morning, after lunch, and before you play. Then soak/sportscreme before bed.

Play two scales and call me in the morning. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

never had that problem but what you could do to help or strengthen your hands is to glob about 4 or 5 thingers (or more depending on hand size) of silly puddy and knead on it for about a half hour before you play...it will feel like you are already warmed up. The same type of stuff is sold under the Power Putty name but I see silly puddy more than I see power puddy
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Your so violent! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I tried the wrist brace thing for a while. It ended up hurting my wrist even more. *reads a lil more* Actually all i have to say has pretty much already been said. Good advice here for everyone [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks!

Comment

Using squishy balls and other finger excersises is no different than warming up on the guitar.
                Your hands need time to adjust to "work position". Since you work construction, take every opportunity to put your hands in "playing position" (i.e. upturned fretting hand, forward-turned picking hand). If you're a lumber-lugger, carry them palms up without gripping with your fingers, but rather with the palm. Gripping things (tools, materials) with your fingers will tire them out quickly.
                Then again, construction work is usually 12-16 hours a day, right? Find a better job ASAP.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

well who knows, the extra work in his fingers from holding stuff like that might actually improve his speed, and he'll probably be able to go for an even longer period of time. So who knows, it might actually help in his guitar playing in the long run.

Comment

boxcar, i do constuction as well...how long have you been back at wok...afte a 3 month layoff i went back and my hands killed me for close to a month...icy hot works petty well at night but eventually the pain should go away unless you're ovestressing something in you hand...might be a good thing to talk to a chiropracter about it...d.m.
                    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Kamo - Gripping things tightly with the fingers (as in construction tools) is very good for bass, where fatter strings demand a firm grip, but will turn a guitarist into a hamfisted rhythm player or blues player really quick. I used to have a grip of iron, and it showed in my playing (both bass and guitar). It took me years to learn to relax my fretting hand, and even now I still catch myself putting a death grip on the neck, which slows me down.
                      Of course, I can do hammer-ons and pull-offs that sound as punchy as if they were picked [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've only been back for a little over a week, but I've done this twice before and nothing happened then. I dunno what it is...I'm mainly doing sheetrock finishing and lots of lifting, so I dunno. I'll try the water stuff and everything, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                          Kamo - Gripping things tightly with the fingers (as in construction tools) is very good for bass, where fatter strings demand a firm grip, but will turn a guitarist into a hamfisted rhythm player or blues player really quick. I used to have a grip of iron, and it showed in my playing (both bass and guitar). It took me years to learn to relax my fretting hand, and even now I still catch myself putting a death grip on the neck, which slows me down.
                          Of course, I can do hammer-ons and pull-offs that sound as punchy as if they were picked [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have the same problem; I have to constant remind myself to relax that hand

Comment

Working...
                          X