Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q-tuners

http://www.q-tuner.com/
    Don't remember ever seeing them mentioned here, and search didn't come up with anything. They look pretty good on paper. Can't listen to samples here at work. Anyone have any experience with them?
    EAOS: 28JUN09

I posted a thread about them awhile ago... and yeah, I took the plunge and went out and bought them.

I'm in the process of writing a full out review, but to be quick... more bass, less treble then a X2N, and more crunch (imo). Kills EMG's in output, but you have to EQ everything alittle different, and there is an insane amount of pull.

Comment

Oh, found it now. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...light=q-tuners
      Didn't include the dash in the search originally.

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. If I move my rig upstairs, I'll do some sound clips for you. Although, unfortunitly, I don't have any clips from the same rig from when I had EMG's in it. (But I can play though some other guitars kicking around, but none of them sounded as well in the first place anyway)

Still playing with them, so I should have a full review done up in the next week or so.

For reference, I have a super high z (bridge), and a high z (neck).

Comment

Well, I guess I'm alittle more then a week. End of term work hit me harder then a hooker you didn't know wanted to be paid.

I've now run these pickups though the same rig against DiMarzio X2N (bridge), EMG 81 (bridge/neck), EMG 85(bridge/neck), EMG 89(neck), Duncan JB(bridge), Duncan Jazz(neck), Gibson DirtyFingers(bridge), and a handful of stock pups. (Although, to be fair, only the Q-Tuner's and EMG 81/89 where in the same guitar)

The best thing about these pups, is the clarity. They're extremely high output, and extremely defined though gobs and gobs of distortion. The X2N was the closest bridge pup I ran that had the same clarity, but this was after changing the channel on my preamp to dampen down the X2N's extremely shrill high end.

The high output proves to be somewhat of a problem. These pups will fucking punish you if you even think about turning your guitar towards the amp speakers at moderate-high volume / gain. The neodymium magnets really amplify.

Also, the magnets are insanely strong. Although, its kind of nice with the way I string a Floyd (ball-end though the tuner). The strings just stick right on the pups while I deal with the bridge... no sliding around the guitar.
          Being as such though, you do have to put the pickups slightly lower then normal, but this wasn't much of a problem. I've heard people complain about sustain problems, but I haven't experienced any (plus, when you're mostly playing though distortion... sustain is redundant).

But, if you're not playing though distortion, I suppose you're in for a treat. The clean on these pups... amazing. I always hated how shitty EMG's sounded on clean (except the EMG-89 when split, but from the time I hit the channel, flip the selector, and pop the volume knob... I'd rather just hit the channel). The high-z has alot more overtones to it then the JB/Jazz, and more bass/mid then the X2N. The superhigh-z is more growly... I don't think I'd use it as a standalone clean sound... the best mix to my ears, has been running both of them together.

Are they worth the price? I dunno. They do sound better then any of the regular popular pickups to my ears, but for the price discrepancy... $100-150 for a pair of pups, compared to $300 for a pair. Plus, I didn't have any bareknuckles to run them against, which might be my next endeavor (godless of course, duh-duh ching)

If you have some cash to throw down... and can wait 2-3 months or so to get them...

PS: The rig I was running was Various Guitars (mostly maple bodies, two alder iirc) -> ADA MP-1 (3.666, Noise, Hi-Gain mods amung other random parts I've replaced, EH high gain tubes) -> BBE482i -> Rocktron Hush IICX -> Mosvalve 1160 -> 2x12 cab (Celesion G12T-75's) using monster rock cables

PPS: Guitar with the Q-Tuners was neck though maple, alder wings.

PPPS: Strings: 10-52 daddario stainless, except for a set of 9-42's on the guitar with the Gibson, and the guitar with the X2N

Comment

Thanks for the review man. They sound promising, might have to get myself a set.

Comment

Freyr, are you saying these pups are too microphonic? Squeal city? How do they compare to any somewhat microhonic passive? Would it be unusable for extreme situations/settings/rigs?

Thanks for the great review!

Comment

Oh. feck.

They sound amazing.
                http://www.q-tuner.com/demo/OD%20dem...%20Q-tuner.mp3

Comment

Yeah, I wonder how they'd hold up under stage conditions, what with loud volumes, electrostatic interference, etc. I enjoyed the sound clips off of their site though.

Comment

Working...
                  X