Question about Bass Strings....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Bass Strings....

I bought a set of Light Dunlop strings. Im far from being a Bass professional, but I am good enough to lay down some tracks.

Anyhow, I tune down to Eb, and I notice that with some semi aggressive playiung, the strings are floppiung a decent amount.

What would be a good gauge to use to get a tighter punchier sound that allows my heavy hand to get away with more?!?

Will heavier strings help me out, or do I need to practice with a lighter touch?!?

bigger gauge makes strings more taut, the higher the action and the bigger the gauge means you can play it harder and encounter less buzz/floppyness, but that also makes it a little more difficult to play on. If you don't like playing with bigger strings, you could play closer to the bridge, this way you can play it much harder, again, with less buzz, because it's way more taut at the bridge, but the sound is not always desireable.

Comment

if you play with fingers or a pick, then use a heavy string gauge
      if you slap, use a light to medium gauge

jazz players like high action because it makes the tone kinda smoother
      some like lower action to get some fretboard buzz when slapping or hitting with a pick
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
        or do I need to practice with a lighter touch?!?
        this is something you need to avoid, pretty much every bass legend plays real heavy.

where do you think James Jamerson, Bootsy Collins, Marcus Miller or Louis Johnson got their AWSOME tone from... it's from their brutal power
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          this is something you need to avoid, pretty much every bass legend plays real heavy.

where do you think James Jamerson, Bootsy Collins, Marcus Miller or Louis Johnson got their AWSOME tone from... it's from their brutal power
          Would you put Entwistle in that category E?
          Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly View Post
            Would you put Entwistle in that category E?
            well, he didn't play as heavy as most funk and soul bassists, but he definetly had a pretty powerfull touch... little bit lighter than John Paul Jones' but still it rocked pretty hard.... that's what you need for rock'n'roll.

lighter touch is great if you play smooth bass solos... ala Stanley Clarke... but when he is groovin... it's all power.

it's all about the pickups too... and the bass

old basses with passive pups need more attack.... modern basses with active pups need a lot less.

Comment

btw. people who play double bass/upright bass.. have incredibly heavy touch

Comment

Endrik, I notice issues RIGHT after I strike the note. When recording, it's noticable that the note takes too long to "come to proper pitch"

It could just be my technique. UI can minimalise it with lighter playing. IUm curious if these high end bass players ease up for recording to keep it "tighter"

Comment

Have you tried to record with a different bass? Maybe the problem is in your instrument? Or can you post a clip so I would understand this problem better...

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
                  IUm curious if these high end bass players ease up for recording to keep it "tighter"
                  NOPE!!!

the heavier you play the tighter it is... the more space it fills
                  remember the kinda of music they play... the bass has to be DRIVING.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    Have you tried to record with a different bass? Maybe the problem is in your instrument? Or can you post a clip so I would understand this problem better...

NOPE!!!

the heavier you play the tighter it is... the more space it fills
                    remember the kinda of music they play... the bass has to be DRIVING.

Yes..my favorite bass strings are Rotosound..they stay bright the longest.

I played a light 95 gauge for years..for practicing/recording and shit.

I had to jump up to a 105 gauge live, because I would break anything less. I quickly discovered I play MUCH harder live than on my couch!!

That became expensive..bass strings cost much more than guitar strings!!!

If I didn't change them every other show..I would break the low E..or drop D (hipshot)..I break 'em everytime!!!

Go with ever feels best for you. I set my basses up with a fairly low action, but not where it buzzes when I play hard. I slap and tap ALOT..so that's VERY important!

I keep the feel and action the same with both gauges. I just have to relieve the truss rod a bit when I go with the lighter gauge.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                    X