EMG 81 or EMG 85 in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 81 or EMG 85 in the bridge?

I want to know your feedback on both these pickup models and why you EMG users chose one over the other for a nice bridge pickup for aggressive playing. I love the 85 in the bridge, because not only does it sound thicker and have a higher output than the 81, it has better cleans. I find the 81 to not have as much headroom as the 85 and sounds thinner and too trebly for my tastes.

IMO, EMG's sound like ass anyway, but the last guitar I had with that combo sounded better with the '85 in the bridge. That being said, it's totally different with each guitar. I almost never find a pickup that's a "one size fits all" aside from the Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell, which sounds incredible in the neck spot in every guitar I've tried it in.

Comment

85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck is what I prefer.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

85 in the bridge. 81 = treble
        Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

85 all the way. Low-end from hell and super chug.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

85 in the bridge bro 81`s are too trebly and metallic sounding, especially with a Floyd.

Jack

Comment

Anyone else perfer an 81 over the 85 on the bridge?

Comment

I think it also depends on the guitar body / wood... I had an 81 in the bridge of a heavy ass huge bodied Dean from Hell, and an 85 in the bridge of a smaller nato Mockingbird, both floyded, and they both sounded similiar to me.

Comment

i prefer the 81 in the bridge...tried the 85 and didnt like it at all in the bridge. to each their own though, everyone has a different tone in their head.
                  My metal band Lucian Scott
                  Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                    I think it also depends on the guitar body / wood... I had an 81 in the bridge of a heavy ass huge bodied Dean from Hell, and an 85 in the bridge of a smaller nato Mockingbird, both floyded, and they both sounded similiar to me.
                    this is also true...3 guitars, all with 81s in the bridge, all sound different. 85 also sounds like ass in the neck position on my Dinky, while the 81 sounds like ass in the neck position of my RR. switched em and all is good. and my Schecter just sounds amazing...81 in the bridge is nice and tight, 85 in the neck is warm but not muddy.
                    My metal band Lucian Scott
                    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                    Available Now!
                    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

So far I'm sold on the 85 in the bridge with an 18v setup.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        So far I'm sold on the 85 in the bridge with an 18v setup.
                        Is the 18V setup hard to do? What is the difference in sound?

Comment

The 18v setup is easy to do, you just wire another 9v battery clip in series to the original one.
                          As for the sound, I think it opens up the pickup a bit more.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
                            Anyone else perfer an 81 over the 85 on the bridge?
                            Is this a poll or something? Just do what you like man. there are no hard and fast rules.

You do know that either pup can be hooked up with quick-connect cables right? You can first try the 81 and if you dont like it, its as simple as disconnecting and connecting an 85. No need to look for the soldering gun again. Try 'em out for yourself. Tone is subjective. Personally, I liked an 81 in the bridge with the tone knob rolled off a little. I like my tone BRIGHT. but I've long since moved away from active's. But that's another story.

Also, it all depends on the type of guitar you have. if you have an all-mahogany guitar, its probably gonna sound very assy...sorry, bassy... if you have the 85 in the bridge. But in a Jackson forum where majority of the guitars are alder-bodied, an 85 would be the one that's most recommended.
                            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                              Is this a poll or something? Just do what you like man. there are no hard and fast rules.

You do know that either pup can be hooked up with quick-connect cables right? You can first try the 81 and if you dont like it, its as simple as disconnecting and connecting an 85. No need to look for the soldering gun again. Try 'em out for yourself. Tone is subjective. Personally, I liked an 81 in the bridge with the tone knob rolled off a little. I like my tone BRIGHT. but I've long since moved away from active's. But that's another story.

Also, it all depends on the type of guitar you have. if you have an all-mahogany guitar, its probably gonna sound very assy...sorry, bassy... if you have the 85 in the bridge. But in a Jackson forum where majority of the guitars are alder-bodied, an 85 would be the one that's most recommended.
                              If you read my first post, I did say I prefer an 85 in the bridge. I just wanted to know people's opinions on each pickup and what guitars they like it in and types of woods..etc.. Just curious to see what other people think of those 2 pickups and why they liked them in that position. I am very aware of the quick connect feature as I'm glad EMG came out with this system..very easy swap with other EMG's. I do have an EMG 85 in my COW dk-6 model..(all mahogany, and also mahogany neck..and it does not sound too bassy at all)

Comment

Working...
                              X