feedback when adjusting master volume control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feedback when adjusting master volume control

I have just purchased a 80's charvel/jackson guitar model 4 and the owner said there
    is some noticeable feedback when adjusting the master volume control.
    Does anyone know what the problem is here? Is this a spendy fix? Thanks
    Nick

Hi. And Welcome Have you received the guitar yet? It just may be a dirty pot. He may just be indicating that the pot makes "Noise". Feedback is when your guitar is too close to the amp. Put a mic next to an amp. And close your ears.:ROTF:
    Last edited by fett; 10-28-2007, 04:08 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Dirty pot?

Hi I am wondering of the term you used dirty pot? What is that? And sorry
      if this is a stupid question I am new to guitar lingual! NIck

Comment

On a Model 4, the volume pot (short for potentiometer, the electronic control underlying your volume knob) is attached to the circuit board for the JE-1200 active midboost system. Sometimes they can be cleaned, but a loud high-pitched whine when turned up all the way is a pretty common sign that the pot is close to done.

Comment

Worst case scenario will be that you will have to replace the pot. Definitel not a spendy fix . A new pot will cost you less than 5$ and you will need some basic soldering skills to replace it. The correct pot value for the JE1200 preamp is 50kOhm, which can be a little harder to find though.

Welcome to the forum btw! And be sure to post some pics of the guitar when you get it .

Comment

I forgot about the board. If that is shot, thats not good.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Did you try replacing the battery?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1 with TJ replace the battery first.Work the vol control back and forth to see if it has a scratchy sound.If so spray some electronics cleaner up inside the pot and work back and forth untill the scratchiness goes away.
                Now keep in mind when turning the vol up with the amp cranked you will get slight popping noise when its reaches full vol position.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate all the answers I will send picks!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X