No announcement yet.

Any Duncan/DiMarzio sound like a J200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Duncan/DiMarzio sound like a J200?

Hi. I have a 90's soloist with a J50BC bridge pickup and J200 neck and middle pickups w/ a JE1200 midboost system. I'm thinking about putting in Duncan or DiMarzio pickups and removing the JE1200 and Jackson pickups. The only thing is...i actually really dig the J200 as a neck pickup. I've never heard another strat pickup which sounds like the J200. I'd like to keep that basic J200 neck tone, with maybe a little more output. Is there anything close?

I used a DK2 and the stock Seymour Duncan STK-1 didn't sound anything like my J200. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a DiMarzio Chopper?

The J200 was a stacked humbucker, if I recall.

Try either a Lil59, Lil Screamin Demon, or JBJr.

You might also try a Hot Rails or Cool Rails.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, it's stacked. But I'm not sure if it's considered a "mini humbucker" like the JB Junior or if it's supposed to sound like a single coil and just happens to cancle hum (like a DiMarzio Area 61)

Comment

According to the manuals & sales flyers, their intent was to basically create a noise-free vintage single.

http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Jac...ElecPage04.htm

I think they failed pretty badly at that, but if you like the tone, the best thing would probably be to try and match up the specs as best you can with something from Duncan or DiMarzio.

Specs:
        http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Ch1...1986Page35.htm

I don't think you'll find an exact match for the sound of a J200 with the midboost turned up, though.

Comment

The J200 needs the boost to have nay decent volume. If you use the boost with other pups it will be too loud. Althought there is the trim pot on the back to adjust it. But if i want a good vintgae single sound without the hum I use Duncan vintage staggered stacks. I think they call them the classic stack now. Great pups. and have a single coil sound.
          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            I don't think you'll find an exact match for the sound of a J200 with the midboost turned up, though.
            Thanks for the links. Sounds like I need a hum-canceling single coil, with a vintage vibe - just a little fatter sounding.

I'm thinking of using a DiMarzio Chopper or Virtual Vintage Solo. Only problem is, the J200 slots are EMG shaped, so I'd have to cut down the plastic base of the DiMarzio pickup to fit it in...and that means I can't exchange it if I don't like the tone.

Comment

The DC resistance really affects how hard a pup drives the amp and thus the tone. You could research and/or measure the DC resistance of the J200 and use the ohm rating to help narrow down the list of replacement candidates.

Comment

I had a Chopper. Excellent pickup. Had the balls of a hum but still reacted to attack like a single. But like you said the pickup route is too small.

I got rid of the Chopper because I only use the neck pup for shred and I tend to like a humbucker s more. The Chopper is a very very decent single though. One of my favourite along with the HS-3 and YJM but they not have much output. The Chopper is a good bet...

Either it sounds like a J200 is a different question...
                Last edited by XxKilgannonxX; 10-27-2007, 09:51 PM.
                Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Originally posted by XxKilgannonxX View Post
                  I had a Chopper. Excellent pickup. Had the balls of a hum but still reacted to attack like a single. But like you said the pickup route is too small.

I got rid of the Chopper because I only use the neck pup for shred and I tend to like a humbucker s more. The Chopper is a very very decent single though. One of my favourite along with the HS-3 and YJM but they not have much output. The Chopper is a good bet...

Either it sounds like a J200 is a different question...
                  I can cut down the platic base to make it fit...

Have you ever used a J200?

Comment

Yes. Had some in my Model 6 that I had. Chopper in my Charvette was a better sound j200 in the Model 6. But again totally subjective. More of a hot-rod sound which i prefer over the j200 vintage vibe. The soundclips on the Dimarzio site sounds about right. One of few pickups that sound like what you get from listening to the clips. I didnt a/b them so I cant tell you if they sound similar. From what I've heard those Seymour Rails are a favourite of many. The right pickups are usually an endless search.
                    If you like it...keep it

Why fix something that's not broken??
                    Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

I just don't like idea of active electronics...my guitar can run out of batteries? It just doesn't seem right, call me crazy. I e-mailed DiMarzio and they make EMG sized single coil pickups for special orders for $10 extra.

Comment

Great thread because I've wondered the opposite - is there an aftermarket pup that sounds like the J50 bridge pup? I've got a Model 6 and love the bridge (especially w/ the boost) sound, but it is kinda noisy at louder volumes. Which I'm guessing is from the boost. So is there a (passive) pup that is similiar to the J50 w/boost but doesn't require a boost? That sounded confusing but I hope you know what I mean
                        Last edited by jwoods986; 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM.
                        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                        X