classical scales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• classical scales

does any one know of a web site that shows you classical scales and any other scales you can use with metal? as i need to expand my lead playing because my playing isn't at the standard id like it to be.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: classical scales

here's the names of all the scales used in "classical" reperatoire

Ionian
    Dorian
    phrygian
    Lydian
    Mixolydian
    Aeolian
    Locrian

I hvae class now. but I can explain more later. See yah.

Comment

Just do a search for "Scales and Modes" on Google or Yahoo! or whatever...

scales are really not named for the music in which they can be associated with....you can use the same scales in various types of music. I think you are looking for some that work well with neo-classical type of music. Try melodic minor, harmonic minor, phyrgian mode, diminished scales etc.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Those arn't scales! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But check out all the modes of the major (ionian) scale, melodic minor, harmonic minor, 5th mode of the harmonic minor....
        It might be easier finding an artist you like who plays classical type stuff and just learn a lot of what he plays.

Comment

yes they are jackass. THey are the modal scales. Get a clue. You need to have a better understanding of Key Signature, half steps and whole steps, and the Circle of Fifths and all that crap before you dive head first into modal work.

The modes are scales built on each interval of the Major Scale. Which is also known as teh Ionian Mode. It's pretty happy sounding. Think Mozart or Clementi and you'll have a good grasp of what a major scale sounds like. The mode built on teh 2nd note of a major scale is known as the dorian mode. It has a lowered 3rd and 7th scale degree, giving it a more melancholic tone.

I really don't want to write a book on the modes and their tonal characteristics...but if I have to I will. We'll see if anyone else has something dumb to say. like "those aren't scales" I have better things to do with my time, than to get pissed off about somebody's lack of knowledge in music theory.

teh other scales that I didn't mention already have been mentioned. Melodic Minor and Harmonic Minor, which are just variations of the Aeolian Scale! the Pentatonic scale is easy, and the blues scale, which I'm sure you can play already. And of course the chromatic scale, which always works and sound interesting. Then there is the total crap scale....otherwise known as the Whole Tone scale. This thing sucks. ITs exactly what it says it is, a scale of All Whole Steps. It sounds lame, IMO anyway.

whole tone scale is like this. C,D,E F#, G#,A#,C
          or.. F,G,A,B,C#,D#,F

If you can actually make a solo sound not...totally like you're a crack ho with those scales. I commend you.

Comment

drip is right.. scales = modes

This might help you somewhat in deciding what to use over what:

Ionian = Major (this is your root position major scale)
            Aeolian = Minor

Dorian = minor scale with a raised 6th degree
            Phrygian = minor scale with a lowered 2nd degree
            Lydian = major scale with raised 4th degree
            Mixolydian = major scale with a lowered 7th degree
            Locrian = minor scale with lowered 2nd and 5th degrees

So if you're playing around with a song in A minor or whatever, try out some of the minor modes and see what happens.. see which ones you like and all that other stuff [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

ok well thanks alot guys.by the way i havent just picked up the guitar i just needed some help into what scales i could use to make my solo's sound more interesting.thanks again
              93 USA Soloist EDS
              USA HT6 Juggernaut
              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

it's not a very good idea to just "learn scales".scales (modes and alterations) are inseperable from chord contstruction and harmony studies. there are lots of resources out there for this kind of thing, (Jody Fisher has a good series of books) most are jazz oriented but its an easy jump to neoclassical if you later want to. I highly recommend digging in to all this, it makes guitar more interesting than ever and once you start you will never look back. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry. I do know my circlee of fifths, key signature and all that ****, i've just always assumed a mode is a mode and a mode isn't a scale. Sorry, i didn't want to sound like a douche. I'll finish off the uses for the modal things:

Phrygian: Can be used to create exotic sounds. Very good if you are trying to do something not western. Also there is the 5th mode of the Harmonic minor that gives the the phrygian mode a major 3rd that is very exotic.

Lydian: Can be very dreamy and kind of surreal. A lot of vai and satch songs are written in the lydian mode.

Mixolydian: Lots of uses. Can do an old 50s rock and roll syle thing if you combine it with the pentatonic minor scale. Can also sound indian if you don't use the 2nd and the 6th degree. Jeff beck does that a lot. Also could be used in blues. Bored of playing in pentatonic minor? Go to the mixolydian, but its generally not a good idea (from my experience) to use the third that much.

Aeolian : the minor scale. Lots of uses.

Locrian: I'm not sure, not used that much.

The relationships between modes. In C major the:
                  ionian mode would be C
                  Dorian mode would be in D
                  The Phrygian mode would be in E
                  The Lydian mode in F
                  Mixolydian in G
                  Aeolian in A
                  and Locrian in B

Comment

Locrian mode is a very common choice in jazz for ii -> V progressions (heart of jazz improv).
                    In the melodic minor group of modes, superlocrian (b4)(the altered scale)is also common (charlie parker etc.) Metal bands use locrian as well (megadeth used often) Also the opening to YYZ (rush) is locrian (the keyboard line).

[ April 25, 2003, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: markpb ]

Comment

Oh. Cool. I have been wondering about when locrians are used.

Comment

yay for modes

Comment

Satch definetely loves to sharp the 4th degree.. just try it, its got that totally dreamy stoner vibe..

Comment

learn the major scale and its related scales(modes)
                            and the harmonic minor scale(also all the diatonic arps)

i will have to correct a few here who have wrongly called the 5th of harmonic minor(HM 5)

lol it should be called HEAVY METAL 5 [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

there are too many scales mate but to be honest once you learn the major scale in all positions with the pentatonics and arps..that will be enough to do nearly anything

Comment

also check into diminshed scales...way useful for classical, esp. if you're composing for more than guitar...d.m.
                              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                              X