Good Intermediate metal solos/licks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Intermediate metal solos/licks

I've been at guitar lessons for a while now and my teacher has had me on a strict diet of Vai/Satriani/Steve Morse etc. (the easier songs) and i'm looking for a few not too hard metal solos to learn that sound cool. Any suggestions

Thanks

Re: Good Intermediate metal solos/licks

dude, go and program "always with me, always with you" on your backing machine... Once you start playing it, don't get the impresion that because you can make the notes sound you got it. Listen to the FLOW, make your bends PRECISE... chew it like a cow chews grass over and over again.

Once you sound betten than Satriani come back and post in the mp3 section. I will not hesitate to tell you if I hear any defects whatsoever in the playing. It will be good for you... even if you don't post it, listening to yourself after recording is GREAT learning. Pick on your own mistakes with no pity.

Also IMO, I love White lion's solos. Lots of technique there:

- Tell me
    - WAIT (watch this one)
    - You are all I need (very emotional)
    - LITTLE FIGHTER (a classic beauty)

When you play bratta, concentrate in obtaining his tone and clarity. Notice that his picking is VERY clean!... sometimes there is even no pick like in wait. Also, notice how he FLOWS and FLOWS. Also notice that he remains clean even with the BRUTAL amount of compression he uses!... crank up the mids and try to imitate his natural harmonics!... inspiring... Ah, and please remember that Mike Tramp was only an accident... Vito needed him in order to sell...

Get Power tab!.... ok, I repeat, get Power tab!...

[ April 20, 2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

dude, now you got me listening to Steve Morse... my god its been a long time!... love it though... great guy!...

Comment

well, I dunno your technical level, or your taste in music, but one of the first metal solos I played was sinergy's "laid to rest".
        pretty easy with some nice tapping, and cool harmonics with the other guitar on the second solo... still love it today!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        would be fu to play with your teacher in lesson I guess...
        once you got the sinergy ballad trick try out "razor blade salvation" really beautiful solo with lots of emotion and style...
        this guy is really great IMO (alexi laiho on earlier, laiho and roope latvala on later albums)!!
        but better keep your hands off the other songs if you are a beginner, these ones are by far the most easy ones. you won't get much out of the rest... (but surely worse listening!!)

another guitarist I like a lot is nuno bettencourt.
        he's got awesome soloing but about the same impressive to me are his beautiful licks!!
        he's a little more oldschool and bluesy to me...
        somehow funky sometimes...
        try out extreme's "kid ego" lick (easy but fun to play) and later maybe the lick after the intro/solo of "he man woman hater". simply fun to play and to hear!! (the lick!! I won't fake I could play the solo... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

another great lick;
        in flames "swim"! try it out!! a little tricky, but helped me a little with my picking hand...
        depends on how you play it you've got to jump some stringy a few times, I learned doing so during alternatze picking by this song.

well I wasn't sure about your level (your early member number confused me), so the songs are a little mixed with their skill level, but I hope you like some of the stuff and have fun during lessons!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

best regards///micha
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

oh, I'm a little late with my response, huh? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Try some of Lynch's earlier stuff, Not Love, In my Dreams great technique and listen to the false harmonic splits simple to pull off but sound hellraisin'or some older Q'ryche (mindcrime)

Hal/Sweepin E#

There are some finger tex you may want give me a hollar: (when you move in A solo, down low) do you start your run on the top string at A/5 pos) If yes, try dropping to the G-A-B and run the same pattern on the A string -- or C-D-E, try the GABCBAG and GABCDCBAG etc. as you ascend the key (string) use your pick moving up toward your body in the up motion then run it over and over then move the pattern to the next octave then back and forth -- if this is too layman let me know -- love helping out the young m-heads

Too lazy for you - get with me -- I'm a hard working Children of Bottom/Cradle of Filthe lover Malmsteen is more linear than quick but it sounds tempo-sync'd fast. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ May 21, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: THESWEEPER ]

Comment

Originally posted by micha:
              well, I dunno your technical level, or your taste in music, but one of the first metal solos I played was sinergy's "laid to rest".
              pretty easy with some nice tapping, and cool harmonics with the other guitar on the second solo... still love it today!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              would be fu to play with your teacher in lesson I guess...
              once you got the sinergy ballad trick try out "razor blade salvation" really beautiful solo with lots of emotion and style...
              this guy is really great IMO (alexi laiho on earlier, laiho and roope latvala on later albums)!!
              but better keep your hands off the other songs if you are a beginner, these ones are by far the most easy ones. you won't get much out of the rest... (but surely worse listening!!)

another guitarist I like a lot is nuno bettencourt.
              he's got awesome soloing but about the same impressive to me are his beautiful licks!!
              he's a little more oldschool and bluesy to me...
              somehow funky sometimes...
              try out extreme's "kid ego" lick (easy but fun to play) and later maybe the lick after the intro/solo of "he man woman hater". simply fun to play and to hear!! (the lick!! I won't fake I could play the solo... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

another great lick;
              in flames "swim"! try it out!! a little tricky, but helped me a little with my picking hand...
              depends on how you play it you've got to jump some stringy a few times, I learned doing so during alternatze picking by this song.

well I wasn't sure about your level (your early member number confused me), so the songs are a little mixed with their skill level, but I hope you like some of the stuff and have fun during lessons!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

best regards///micha
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly, string skipping and the notes I gave you on picking. Alternate is a must. Ascend pick-up decend pick-down; for linear runs alternate is the only way to fly - then try some string skipping with hammer-on and pull offs -- rippin stuff; great advice, Micha

Hal
              Sweepin C# and the hallway

Comment

Originally posted by THESWEEPER:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by micha:
                well...same as above...during lessons!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

best regards///micha
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly, string skipping and the notes I gave you on picking. Alternate is a must. Ascend pick-up decend pick-down; for linear runs alternate is the only way to fly - then try some string skipping with hammer-on and pull offs -- rippin stuff; great advice, Micha (Still trying to figure out how not to copy over just to add a quote -- aint no way that I see 'cept post another reply referring to the one you think may grab you. This guy know what he's talking about I was there -- Kid Ego -- Killer.

Hal
                Sweepin C# and the hallway
                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Learn the God That Failed solo by Metallica, it's pretty easy.

Comment

Fade To Black intro solo

Any Murray/Smith solo from Killers to Somewhere in Time...pretty simple stuff but you gotta get Murray's fluidity nailed and Smith's bizarre phrasing and pinch harmonics.

Contrary to popular belief, many of Randy Rhoads' solos aren't too difficult to play. Over the Mountain is a bit strange buy still do-able.

Comment

Working...
                    X