No announcement yet.

Truss rods, springs and frets. Oh my...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rods, springs and frets. Oh my...

Yeah, I'm going to sound like a moron asking these questions because I used to work at a shop and was asked to work with set-ups on a regular basis. However, I was new at the time and since the shop is now out of business I still consider myself an amateur.

My biggest concern is tinkering with my truss rod. For the most part I'm not particular to low or high action, somewhere in the middle that allows for easy fretting as well as easy bending. Can't have both I guess. I do, however, like to experiment and I'm wondering if there are any serious do's and don't's (?) to rod adjustments. If anybody wouldn't mind throwing some tips out there, awesome, as I don't want to break my baby's neck out of sheer stupidity.

Secondly... Medium frets vs Jumbo (or XJ) frets. What are the benefits. Soloists, if I'm not mistaken, have jumbo frets whereas my V has mediums. What difference does it make?

I'm dealing with an OFR if anybody's curious, so again, general help with tinkering would be a plus. That's pretty vague so I don't necessarily expect an answer I don't already have, or an asnwer whatsoever.

It's tough talking about rod tinkering without cracking a smile.

The truss rod has nothing to do with the action of the guitar. It's used to make the neck straighter or more bowed. Make small adjustments.

As far as fret size, I've only ever had Jumbos, so I can't offer an opinion. I think that bigger frets give a more metallic sound and smaller frets give a more woody sound.

You didn't ask, but it's in your subject. The trem springs are used to counteract the tension of the strings so the bridge stays level with the body.

No offense, dude, but I hope you didn't do too many set-ups at this shop.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      The truss rod has nothing to do with the action of the guitar. It's used to make the neck straighter or more bowed. Make small adjustments.
      ???
      What the hell are you talking about.
      The truss rod has just as much to do with "action" a.k.a. string height as the bridge and nut do.
      Put too much bow in the neck and you will have some seriously high action.
      Flatten the neck out too much and you will fret out or have dead spots all over the board.
      -Rick

Comment

Besides what was said already, get Dan Erlewine's books, or at least the book on how to make you guitar play great.

The truss rod is not for settng action height - it is for giving the proper relief in the neck.
        Last edited by DonP; 10-25-2007, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Truss has plenty to do with action. Obviously if the neck is bowed too much the strings are going to be higher off the fretboard, and alas - higher action. I do know there are different kinds of trusses out there and there's where a lot of confusion sets in for me. I could do a little research but I'm lazy and I decided to let people shoot off some facts to boost their egos, ha. Or provide links. I'm not prepared to buy advice when I'm sitting on a plethora of potentially useful information.

I'm not amazing with setups by any means. I was the new guy and I was just learning a few tricks of the trade. I did a lot of set-ups on the guitars in stock and I've done a lot of work on my cheapies. I'm just not dicking around on my Jackson without acquiring some knowledge beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Besides what was said already, get Dan Erlewine's books, or at least the book on how to make you guitar play great.

The truss rod is not for settng action height - it is for giving the proper relief in the neck.
            its not, but if the neck isnt adjusted right getting a nice low action is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
              its not, but if the neck isnt adjusted right getting a nice low action is impossible.
              Correct.

Comment

i think what he means is that you shouldnt adjust action with the truss rod

a lot of people mess with it to get really low action and then ending up fucking up their neck
                what people do is yank on the truss rod untill the action is low, instead of giving the neck a nice bow and then adjusting the bridge

as for jumbo frets.. i dont know i got a dinky with 'jumbo' frets but they feel medium.. esp jumbo frets are much bigger
                i can compare dinky jumbo frets to gibson medium
                Last edited by MichaelLitvak; 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM.
                If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Please read Dan Erliwines books they are a must read if you plan on working on guiatrs.Don't be a cheap ass.His books will answer 95% of all your questions.I was a guitar tech at RS guitarworks a very high end custom builder and guess what Dan's books are in their library.
                  I've called DE several times and he always took the time to answer my questions in a way thats very easy to understand.A hell of a nice guy too.
                  Last edited by straycat; 10-25-2007, 10:42 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Guess maybe it's worth checking into..

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak View Post
                      as for jumbo frets.. i dont know i got a dinky with 'jumbo' frets but they feel medium.. esp jumbo frets are much bigger
                      i can compare dinky jumbo frets to gibson medium
                      What Dinky do you have that has medium jumbo frets like a Gibson? Gibson's medium jumbo seem the same size as Fender medium jumbo and my Jackson Mark Morton, same as my old JJP and the KV2 as well. A Dinky's jumbo frets are indeed bigger than medium.

And ESP, I believe, actually uses Extra Jumbo.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        And ESP, I believe, actually uses Extra Jumbo.
                        ESP does use XJ.

Comment

i think what he means is that you shouldnt adjust action with the truss rod
                          Dude, i seriously doubt anyone would be that stupid. Then again, i said the same thing about other things in the past, and whaddyaknow....
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                          X