Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switched tuning and strings, little help with a floyd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switched tuning and strings, little help with a floyd.

Alright, so I just converted from D Standard using D'Addario 10's, to E Standard using GHS Boomers 10's.

I assumed that I'd tighten my springs to knock my **** back into tune, and after that, I finished tuning my stuff up, but now, if I do any pull on the whammy bar (away towards the guitar neck) the tuning becomes (almost) sharp, and if I do a tiny dive after that it will go back to standard tuning.

Hopefully this drivel will make some sense to people, and I can get a little help. Is it just a matter of messing with the springs again?

Thanks..
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Sounds like your trem isn't level so it isn't returning to zero. Make sure the trem is level with the body when you're tuned up. Hopefully it's that simple, if not it could be a problem with the posts.
    EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Hmm. Well I just spent even more time (I've been at this for hours upon hours) trying to get the trem even more level with the body...and I don't think It's going to get any more even.

Could it possibly have anything to do with me having 3 springs?.....
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

3 springs is pretty much standard. Have you run out of room to tighten down the trem claw? That shouldn't be the case with 10s tuned to E. You just have to take your time. Tighten the claw just a little, loosen the strings just a little, check the level of the trem, tune it. It doesn't take much to make a big difference since you're adding tension to one side & loosening the other. It's a balancing act. Just keep repeating until you're level and in tune.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
          3 springs is pretty much standard. Have you run out of room to tighten down the trem claw? That shouldn't be the case with 10s tuned to E. You just have to take your time. Tighten the claw just a little, loosen the strings just a little, check the level of the trem, tune it. It doesn't take much to make a big difference since you're adding tension to one side & loosening the other. It's a balancing act. Just keep repeating until you're level and in tune.
          Hmm, I still have about 1 - 1.5 cm of space left within the claw.

What would cause it to go out of tune with a dive though?

Comment

When you put on new strings, tune up to pitch, stretch them out by bending and pulling them off the board. Tune back up to pitch, keep bending/stretching/retuning the strings until they stay in tune, then lock the nut down.
            The two pivot posts may also be a little loose, so I'd pull them out, put some teflon plumber's tape around the threads and then put them back in. Also, put a little Chapstick or some two-in-one oil on the posts where the trem rests on them. That should help with your tuning stability.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have about a billion springs.:ROTF: They are not all the same. Some are heavy duty and others aren't. Like they said, it's all a balancing act.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Sounds more like an issue with the nut locks being worn, or the strings weren't stretched enough.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A combination of what the guys mentioned so far might be the issue: Strings not stretched sufficiently, locking nut worn (you can test this by loosening the tuning pegs and checking the string tuning - string tuning should not change until you loosen the locking nut also), Floyd base not properly level (you said you already checked this).

Regarding the springs, while I agree that 3 springs should do fine, your springs may be too soft or worn out.....It won't hurt to try 4 springs or 3 new springs.

Another possible issue might be worn knife edges on the floyd or worn Floyd posts.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                    I have about a billion springs.:ROTF: They are not all the same. Some are heavy duty and others aren't. Like they said, it's all a balancing act.
                    Yeah, a while ago i was looking for a "really light" trem spring to "bridge" (pun intended) the difference between D, Eb and E standard tunings.... and while doing so, i was just thinking, i'll bet fett has a ton of those lying around - don't you
                    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                    X