How much is normal fret wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is normal fret wear?

I just bought a guitar on ebay sight unseen. Seller stated normal fret wear, not damaged, worn out and no groves.

Is this normal fret wear or am I right to be pissed?

20 out of the 24 frets are like this. some worse then others.

Excellent pix, R6.
    Those are trashed, in my book.
    Time for a refret. I would say you have a legitimate beef.

Comment

This guy was probably a real shredder . Frets on my guitars are most worn under the highest string too...some more, some less. One guitar that I sold some months ago had similar fret wear under the thinnest string, but still played without fretting out or buzzing with a really low action!
      Also, pics always make it seem worse than it really is. Try to polish the frets with the #0000 steel wool, put some fresh strings on it and see how it plays then .

Comment

shit. i can see black lines. do you clean that thing? clean the entire board and get the frets redressed. that's horrid.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          shit. i can see black lines.
          That's a new approach to ebonizing the fretboard
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Those frets are heavily worn. Id be pissed if I got that and described as normal fret wear.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Previous owner probably played with his entire hand grabbing the neck like if it was his dick.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                  Those frets are heavily worn. Id be pissed if I got that and described as normal fret wear.
                  +1. That's heavy fret wear. My sight unseen DKMG has a lot of the same. At least, he described it as needing TLC or for parts so I have no beef. In your situation, I would be pissed.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

quote]
                    shit. i can see black lines. do you clean that thing? clean the entire board and get the frets redressed. that's horrid.
                    [/quote] I just bought it . I am not going to clean if I am going to get my money back.
                    That's a new approach to ebonizing the fretboard
                    yes it is but I think the wood is going to get softer this way.:ROTF:
                    The strings are so black it isn't even funny.
                    They strung the guitar with the balls at the tuners and didn't cut off the skinny part of the heavier strings.
                    I talked the guy into refunding me the money for half a fret dressing. We'll see if he sends it. I just got back from talking to my tech, should be fine after another $58.
                    So much for a good deal.
                    Last edited by Rich#6; 10-20-2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

It looks like amodel 4 or 6 80 's guitar right. How much did you pay for it and for a 20 year old guitar thats normal . Get the frets dressed and quit your whining.

Comment

Level the frets and recrown them then polish and it will be fine.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It looks like amodel 4 or 6 80 's guitar right. How much did you pay for it and for a 20 year old guitar thats normal . Get the frets dressed and quit your whining
                          Actually it's a DXMG. One of the newer ones smart ass. Mint these sell for $250. I paid 200 total and will still have to replace one of the tuners and the body is dinged up. Can't you tell MOTO from MOP and the fact that model 4s have no binding and 22 frets . All the guitars that I bought off of ebay from the 80's and 90's never looked this bad.
                          Is the seller a friend of yours?
                          Last edited by Rich#6; 10-21-2007, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Thank guys for the input

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                              It looks like amodel 4 or 6 80 's guitar right. How much did you pay for it and for a 20 year old guitar thats normal . Get the frets dressed and quit your whining.
                              I have a Model 88 that has very little fret wear, that's 19 years old. And the nearly daily player '84 Hamer, which doesn't display nearly as much as this one. Sure, it may take a dressing, but it's probably the last dressing it will ever see. I would strongly consider a refret at this point.

R6 isn't whining at all, IMHO...are you the seller, jtr?

Comment

Working...
                              X