Charvle Neck on a Jackson Body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvle Neck on a Jackson Body?

So will they bolt up to each other? I got a Jackson DKMG and need a neck but the Jackson's go for so much I Can't a ford them the Charvles seem to go for less so I'm hoping I can mix and match and have a nice guitar when I'm done.

I think the problem you'll face is that the DKMG is a 24 fret 25.5" scale guitar, and the only import Charvel necks I know of with 24 frets are 24.75" scale Fusion necks. I'm not very familiar with the more recent imports as far as if any had a long scale & 24 frets, but they didn't have the Jackson-style headstock.

Comment

The SD re-issues from 1995 had 24 fret 25.5" scale necks except the Traditional.
      But good luck finding one of those necks for sale.
      -Rick

Comment

As it's been touched upon above, make sure the replacement neck has the same number of frets....Since DKMG has 24 frets, you need to be looking for a 24 fret neck. Japanese Charvel bolt ons from 1980s and 1990s were either 22 frets (if you use these your guitar will not intonate) or if 24 fret then they were short scale (Gibson scale or 24-3/4" scale length, as opposed to Fender scale or 25.5" scale length). These will bolt onto the DKMG body and will intonate, but you will have a short scale guitar (nothing bad, just different - I kinda like short scales myself!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
          ...or if 24 fret then they were short scale (Gibson scale or 24-3/4" scale length, as opposed to Fender scale or 25.5" scale length). These will bolt onto the DKMG body and will intonate, but you will have a short scale guitar...
          I have heard of people doing this successfully, but If he's unlucky it won't intonate properly.

Comment

I've never heard of anyone putting a 24.74" scale neck on a 25.5" scale body and having it intonate.
            -Rick

Comment

I've done a few.......They all worked out fine..........Jackson 24 fret necks and 24 fret bodies are compatible regardless of scale length ..........

Comment

Interesting...
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  I've never heard of anyone putting a 24.74" scale neck on a 25.5" scale body and having it intonate.
                  I've done it, but I had to route down on the neck pocket (closer to the bridge) in order to bring it to proper scale.

Mr Metal, if you've never had any problems intonating a "hybrid" (mix-match body/neck) then I have to assume the body and neck were both the same scale.

Comment

Working...
                  X