Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumbo frets vs. Standard. Which do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumbo frets vs. Standard. Which do you prefer?

I've always owned guitars with standard frets because I didn't like jumbos. But... I bought a Charvel Model 2 last week with jumbos. They feel different but not bad at all. Do you have a preference, and why?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Jumbo frets vs. Standard. Which do you prefer?

I love jumbo frets.I feel I can play faster on them. I have them on all my guitar except one.

[ January 13, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: skidd ]
    www.kiddhavok.com
    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

I like all, small, big, scalloped board. Doesn't matter to me.

Comment

these scalloped boards, i know nothing about them. please inform! [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

What's that all about, Larry? Scallops aren't for everyone, but they do have their place. Hey, more for the rest of us!
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Larry:
            these scalloped boards, i know nothing about them. please inform! [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Scalloping is an idea made popular by Yngwie Malmsteen in the early Eighties. Basically, it means that the fretboard has a groove dug between each fret. Whan you play on a scalloped board, you don't touch the actual fretboard at all.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Funny how everyone mentions that you don't touch the fretboard at all with a scalloped board. I NEVER touch my fretboard at all with a standard board, whether I'm playing my jumbo fret electric guitars or my tiny fret acoustic guitar! What am I missing here?!?!

What I'm saying is that I've never applied so much pressure to the strings as to make the strings touch the board below, because that makes them pull sharp, obviously. I've always felt that minimal "pressure" is all you need to fret a note and make it ring loud and clear.

Comment

I prefer jumbos, but it doesn't matter much to me. I can suck on any guitar [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Me 2 Gary! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Joe, I think Larry was referring to himself.

Comment

I prefer jumbo frets nowadays. I grew up as a musician playing Les Pauls, so I was accustomed to low-wide frets. Those are better for players who slide up and down the fretboard a lot--much smoother. But for shredding, I find that jumbos are the way to go.

The only frets I really don't like are the tall/narrow frets like you find on Parkers or the standard equipment Carvins. My fingertips always end up sore after trying to move up and down the neck on guitars with that type of fret.

Comment

Working...
                      X