Savatage tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savatage tuning

Hey can anyone tell me what tuning the song Strange Wings from Hall of the Mountain King by Savatage is? I'm trying to figure it out but I'm not sure I have my guitar tuned right. If anyone knows I'd appreciate it if you passed it along to me. Thanks!

Re: Savatage tuning

Tune low E to D the rest is standard tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Cretsinger:
      Tune low E to D the rest is standard tuning.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A.K.A. Dropped-D tuning
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Was that post really necessary? Not everyone here may understand what "dropped-D" tuning means. This is why I have been scarce in posting here anymore, too many smart asses and **** stirrers! Makes me regret even giving any advice out to people who have legit questions. Coming to this board used to be a good experiance, now it's just another "***** and moans" session from a bunch of assholes. PEACE OUT and good riddence!

Comment

Well, maybe that wasn't really meant to be a smart a$$ post Donnie. Probably just a remark to let the guy know that was just another term for what you had mentioned, just so the guy would know and not think dropped D was considered something different. Don't overreact bro... haha

Personally, I played all that Savatage stuff for years live in what was just about a Savatage tribute, and I actually played it all in standard tuning. But, all tuned to D.

I know on the albums it isn't though. I just made it work, and you wouldn't know it was playing it all wrong, haha.

We did HOTMK, Strange Wings, Legions, Beyond the Doors of the Dark, and a bunch of older stuff.

[ January 15, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

way to over-react, Donnie. Lerxstcat was just providing the correct term for the tuning you mentioned. Where was he being a smart-ass? As you said, maybe not everyone knows what "Dropped D" means, but now they can look at your post IN CONJUNCTION with Lerx's and they will know, won't they?

Now I can see why you've been scarce posting here. Seeing guys back each other up by providing a little more detailed information in support of each other's posts must really piss some people off. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
              way to over-react, Donnie. Lerxstcat was just providing the correct term for the tuning you mentioned. Where was he being a smart-ass? As you said, maybe not everyone knows what "Dropped D" means, but now they can look at your post IN CONJUNCTION with Lerx's and they will know, won't they?

Now I can see why you've been scarce posting here. Seeing guys back each other up by providing a little more detailed information in support of each other's posts must really piss some people off. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree, G! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

John,

By the way, I am STILL waiting for that HOTMK [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I will never forget about it, so don't even try it. HAHA

Even though you left me hanging helplessly on my explding Beta Capsule project ( which I got to work) I will forgive you and will forever remind you about diging up some of those old Savatage recordings. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Jeez Loize, I can't ask a question about a song's tuning without everyone jumping on eachothers backs! Donnie, thanks for telling me what tuning it is. Admins, please delete this thread.

Comment

Yeah, good work Box... Always starting trouble are ya? [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Rick, I just didn't want you to hurt yourself with that Beta Capsule...

Every HOTMK recording I got, we sound like idiots. haha... Somethng is wrong in every one...

Comment

Hey Donnie, I was just trying to help.
                      That's why I used your quote, then wrote
                      "AKA Dropped-D tuning". No offense was intended, but like you said, not everybody knows this, and I thought someone asking about the tuning might be
                      one who did't know what it was called. If
                      he DID know, then he'd probably also recognize the tuning when he heard it, and thus would never have posted asking.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:

Personally, I played all that Savatage stuff for years live in what was just about a Savatage tribute, and I actually played it all in standard tuning. But, all tuned to D.

I know on the albums it isn't though. I just made it work, and you wouldn't know it was playing it all wrong, haha.

Man! Considering the advantages of Dropped D, it must've been a lot of extra
                        work to make the songs sound right in standard tuning based in D! Sort of like
                        taking your morning run with weights strapped on your ankles, eh? That's pretty damn cool!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I didn't really think it was harder. Maybe in a few spots...Basically I just played it all a step upwards sorta.

It was all pretty do-able for some reason, as in it wasn't like acrobatics I didn't think. I also think that it wasn't all Drop D. I'd really have to sit down with it and see. I don't really play along with stuff much, I just learn it in my head and play it. So sometimes I'll be playing it a bit wrong or something.

Comment

I always thought that strange wings was in C...as with most of the rest of the album? I can play it in Standard fairly easily though.

Comment

Nah, drop-D works for Strange Wings, as with Gutter Ballet, Edge of Thorns, and lots of their other songs.

Comment

Working...
                              X